My hen if hurt and can’t move on her own

Nov 19, 2018
I believe my rooster injured my young hen she has been isolated in her own area since this happened. My question is what should I do? Should I just keep feeding her until she gets better. I’m not positive of what is wrong with her possibly broken wing. Thanks

Sorry I don't have any info. But I'm bumping this for you. Also is it only the wing? What are size/ age differences? Is she eating/drinking? Just trying to get more info for the people that can help you. Good luck!

Sorry I don't have any info. But I'm bumping this for you. Also is it only the wing? What are size/ age differences? Is she eating/drinking? Just trying to get more info for the people that can help you. Good luck!
I’m not sure where injury started I only guessed it could be a wing injury. She is eating and drinking but only moves a little bit at a time. I haven’t seen her stand she has been on ground so injuries could be more major. She still is about 2 or 3 months old she grew up with a few chicks her age I also have older birds which is why I keep her isolated. She is a lot bigger than the chicks I raised her with I believe she may be a meat chicken but I only have her as a pet not to eat. 856ED574-AAAF-4523-8BAF-B0766C49A421.jpeg

I’m not sure where injury started I only guessed it could be a wing injury. She is eating and drinking but only moves a little bit at a time. I haven’t seen her stand she has been on ground so injuries could be more major. She still is about 2 or 3 months old she grew up with a few chicks her age I also have older birds which is why I keep her isolated. She is a lot bigger than the chicks I raised her with I believe she may be a meat chicken but I only have her as a pet not to eat.View attachment 2183500
She does look like a meat chicken. Is the roo sizably bigger than her? It looks like her toes are curled.? Is it hot or is she panting in the pic from stress? Pics of her wing that you think is broken possible?

I believe my rooster injured my young hen she has been isolated in her own area since this happened. My question is what should I do? Should I just keep feeding her until she gets better. I’m not positive of what is wrong with her possibly broken wing. Thanks
I’m not sure where injury started I only guessed it could be a wing injury. She is eating and drinking but only moves a little bit at a time. I haven’t seen her stand she has been on ground so injuries could be more major. She still is about 2 or 3 months old she grew up with a few chicks her age I also have older birds which is why I keep her isolated. She is a lot bigger than the chicks I raised her with I believe she may be a meat chicken but I only have her as a pet not to eat.View attachment 2183500
Welcome To BYC

Can you pick the bird up and examine it for injuries? Look at the legs/feet/toes.
A better photo of the legs and feet may be helpful.

What have you been feeding him/her?
I agree that it looks like a meat bird. Sadly these birds are not meant to be long lived and gain a lot of weight in a short period of time unless feed is managed/controlled. They can end up with leg issues where they simply are not able to support their weight, also with the rapid weight gain they can also have heart failure.

I would try to rule out injury for sure, but it may be that your bird is failing due to weight gain.
What does the poop look like?

I would get some vitamin B2 into it as well. You can give B-Complex (1/4 tablet) for a week.

The corn, I would take away. That is just going to add to the weight gain. IF you can get him/her up and moving, then you can try using a grower/finisher type feed which is lower protein. Only put out small amounts and encourage the bird to move/exercise. This may or may not help. I'm very sorry. Even those that have these birds to raise as pets and closely monitor their intake and encourage exercise find that they are not long lived. Some do live for a year or more though. I don't mean to sound discouraging. My understanding is these birds can be very sweet and are like big pets, but I do have to be honest with you too.

Welcome To BYC

Can you pick the bird up and examine it for injuries? Look at the legs/feet/toes.
A better photo of the legs and feet may be helpful.

What have you been feeding him/her?
I agree that it looks like a meat bird. Sadly these birds are not meant to be long lived and gain a lot of weight in a short period of time unless feed is managed/controlled. They can end up with leg issues where they simply are not able to support their weight, also with the rapid weight gain they can also have heart failure.

I would try to rule out injury for sure, but it may be that your bird is failing due to weight gain.
What does the poop look like?

I would get some vitamin B2 into it as well. You can give B-Complex (1/4 tablet) for a week.

The corn, I would take away. That is just going to add to the weight gain. IF you can get him/her up and moving, then you can try using a grower/finisher type feed which is lower protein. Only put out small amounts and encourage the bird to move/exercise. This may or may not help. I'm very sorry. Even those that have these birds to raise as pets and closely monitor their intake and encourage exercise find that they are not long lived. Some do live for a year or more though. I don't mean to sound discouraging. My understanding is these birds can be very sweet and are like big pets, but I do have to be honest with you too.
Thank you so much I know have a good understanding of what Is wrong with her. This is the first time I raised a meat chicken and I now know they aren’t the best pets. I believe the problem is her weight like you have mentioned it made sense ounce you explained it to me. Thank you

Thank you so much I know have a good understanding of what Is wrong with her. This is the first time I raised a meat chicken and I now know they aren’t the best pets. I believe the problem is her weight like you have mentioned it made sense ounce you explained it to me. Thank you
Were you able to take a look just to make sure there's no injuries/swelling? If not, I would check her over just in case.

If she's not able to get up and move, then you will need to take steps to ensure she can reach water and food. She likely will get soiled (poopy) from laying down all the time too. Poopy feathers attract flies so you may need to clean her up every day.

I'm sorry, I know she's a pet :hugs Most all of mine are too and it can be hard when one is not doing well.

Back
Top Bottom