My hen is changing color!

These hens are sisters, about 7 years old and up until about 3 months ago looked so identical I could barely tell them apart. Now, one of my hen's feathers are totally changing color, and she's looking more and more like the rooster I used to have, her father. Has anyone ever seen this and if so, any explanation for why this is happening? I've heard of a hen taking on the characteristics of a rooster, but she's actually the more submissive of the two. Thanks for any feedback!

View attachment 1122668 View attachment 1122670
Your hen is changing color bcuz its a roo!

I have read of older hens who's sole functioning ovary quits. They suddenly feather out like a rooster because of the lack of female hormones. Some revert back to hens eventually, and some remain rooster like. They are still biologically female but look male. Should be interesting if she starts trying to crow and mate.
Yeppers!!^^^

That is extraordinarily bizzare. Those are Welsummers, right?
They do appear to be Welsummers...both the female and male plumage.

It's kind of cool, actually because I had a wonderful, sweet rooster named Henry who was blinded by his son in a fight. We got rid of the offending young rooster, but unfortunately, a couple of years after Henry was nursed back to health he was attacked and killed by a red-tailed hawk. My hen's "new" feather colors remind me so much of him. I have had these two hens since being hatched and they are about 7 years old. Both laid eggs so she's definately not a roo. Just so bizarre. I never thought a hen could change color like that!

Back
Top Bottom