My hen is crowing, how can I get her to stop?

Hello,

This is my first time posting. I have 4 backyard chickens: two Buff Orpingtons and two White Cochins. My biggest BO, "Frankie", has recently started to peck/argue with the other BO (the Cochins mind their own business), and has also started to CROW. (In the photo, she is the orange one on the left)

I live in an area that does not allow chickens, so my girls are living in secret. They get let out every morning and enjoying roaming the backyard, there is plenty of space. I know Frankie has always been the leader, but recently her crowing has become harder to hide and I'm afraid of annoying my neighbors.

Does anyone know of anything that may get her to not be so obnoxious towards the others, and to stop crowing? I was planning on giving her to a friend who has a bigger flock on more land, but she is my baby. But if I keep her, I risk getting in trouble by my HOA. I currently have her in a time out kennel in the garage (w/ food and water) and she hasn't crowed once since she has been out there.

YES hens can crow. I live in a subdivision that doesn’t allow chickens at all. My crowing hen crows at 6:15 am (although for the first time it was 5:30 am today). There are a good many secret flocks in the neighborhood and so far (going on 10 years) they turn a blind eye, but not for crowing. When she starts to crow I dash outside and chase her around the yard which stops her, but I’m retired and don’t want to get up that early. I got a crow collar but can’t put it on her because she is molting and her neck is all pin feathers. Starting tonight I will put her in a crate in the garage at night. Someone on BYC suggested it and it sounds good. It may even break her. The video is her crowing, but she has gotten louder since the video. Yes, she is a girl. She is three years old, laid eggs until she started crowing and even hatched a clutch according to the book. For some reason when I click attach it’s not giving me the option to attach videos. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0FwuisA0bLeI8iLds9uvVUqCA

Attachments

• 8C1A8554-8672-4698-8533-11E244E02D45.jpeg
    8C1A8554-8672-4698-8533-11E244E02D45.jpeg
    612.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom