My hen is egg bound!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Symphony, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Please help. Cant get vet. Other than putting her out of her missery , what can I do?!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Soak her in a warm water bath, also you can try putting some KY jelly up there with a syringe, if you can get around the edge of the egg...

I hate to tell you this, but from a veterinary standpoint...eggbound chicken = very, very bad... [​IMG] It's not like other egg bound birds.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, sorry you are having this problem. Are you 100% sure she is eggbound? The best thing you can do is a nice warm dishpan of water and let her sit in it. It will relax her and hopefully the egg will pass. If not, dry her with a blow dryer and try reaching up her vent to see if you can move the egg. I recommend rubber gloves and some Vaseline as a lubricant for that procedure. Try not to break it.

Good luck.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Lube your finger up and get your finger up there, find the egg/shell or whatever it is and pull it out. Thats what I have done. Soaking the bird in warm water didnt work for me. My bird had a soft shell egg up there that broke and I had to pull it out piece by piece. She lived to tell the story, didnt want a thing to do with me for a long time after that.

5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    How do you know a chicken is egg bound?

6. Symphony

I'm sick so I wasnt outside, my mom lubercated her finger and stuck it up her but, then my brother came in and told me about it. She is egg bound.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Everyone has given you good advise. After you give her a good soak and have checked to see if you can feel the egg, then you need to put her into a quiet place where it's warm, maybe a heating pad covered with a towel for her to sit on, or towels right out of the dryer.

8. Symphony

Her egg came out, it had no shell. Now shes fine. Thanks anyway! [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good news...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by