my hen is having problems with poop sticking to her bottom

sweetpeas

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 25, 2011
North Carolina
My hen has been acting weird, she makes these funny sounds and acts like she is having problems pooping and has poop caked to her butt, can someone tell me how to help her.

i'm not an expert on mature hen having poop problem, but i would suggest you try to clean it with a towel, soaked in warm water, because young baby chicks have these problems and i tend to clean it right away, because it will block the cloaca where the poop is suppose to come out and they can die from it.

I used to have a hen with that problem...I would catch her every few days and wash her butt off with warm water. I also trimmed the fluff back there to extend the time between baths.

welcome-byc.gif

I have a hen that has the same poo problem. I have read that putting apple cider vinegar in the water may help, I do this anyway and have seen no improvement. it should be nothing to worry about. As for the noises and staining.....I don't have much experience. Maybe someone with more advise can help you.
Good luck and welcome to BYC!
-Roxy

One of mine had a big, hard ball of poo stuck beneath her vent (not covering it) this summer. It was too stuck on there for a simple fix with a warm, wet cloth. I had to submerge her lower half in warm water and gently work at it. It took some time and did not smell good! But it was effective.

Make a warm bath deep enough to cover her bum when you put her in there and let her soak for 15-20 minutes. It will soften the crusty poo and if she has something else to expel, it helps.

Back
Top Bottom