My hen is laying on her egg does this mean she is a rooster

ltlbg731

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I have 3 chickens all are 4 1/2 months old. One of them started laying eggs on Thursday. Today I went out and saw one of the hens laying on the egg. I'm not sure if this is the hen that laid the egg and this is normal or if this hen is actually a rooster. My only 2 options of who is laying this egg is my leghorns and one of the leghorns is laying on the egg. Any help would be appreciated. Also my eggs are really small is that normal for the first eggs. They don't seem to be getting any bigger and I have gotten an egg every single day since Thursday. Thanks for any help.

No, not if she layed the egg. If she was a rooster, he'd mate with the chickens while they free range before they lay the eggs.

I would like to include a picture of the hen in question however I'm not very technology savvy so I cannot figure out how to attach a picture that is saved on my computer. Any help would be great.

Here are a couple pictures of the hen in question. She is a brown leghorn. I am really hoping she is not a rooster.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! She's a pullet and she is probably trying out the nest box in preparation for laying her own eggs soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom