My hen is laying

My experience with natural propagation of ring necked pheasants has been exactly the same as Sean and Midnightman. I have successfully hatched and raised pheasant chicks with bantam hens (hardware cloth was needed to house them as it appears that they don't understand 'chicken talk'). Looking at your set up which is fine for a pair of birds I am even more sure that she will not successfully brood there. I would have a cut off time of a maximum of 2 weeks for holding eggs prior to incubation - at moderate temp and humidity and turned daily.

The reason she is laying and they are mating now, is because they are inside. This is not their normal time for breeding. At your location, I wouldn't expect them to start breeding until late May or early June.
I had a feeling she was going to lay due to them being indoors. I’m just hoping that there fertile. I know he has breed her a few times so fingers crossed. I won’t lie I was like a kid at Christmas when I seen that first egg I got all excited lol

My experience with natural propagation of ring necked pheasants has been exactly the same as Sean and Midnightman. I have successfully hatched and raised pheasant chicks with bantam hens (hardware cloth was needed to house them as it appears that they don't understand 'chicken talk'). Looking at your set up which is fine for a pair of birds I am even more sure that she will not successfully brood there. I would have a cut off time of a maximum of 2 weeks for holding eggs prior to incubation - at moderate temp and humidity and turned daily.
Thank you for that info it kinda sucks cause I was hoping for a more natural hatch but I guess if I want chicks I’m gunna have to get the other incubator up and running. We had silkie eggs in one right now. Do you think my silkie hen would brood the eggs ?

If your silkie hen goes broody, there might be a chance of her hatching them. Silkies are known for their broodiness.
Even then I would still remove them to a brooder to raise. As @sourland , has stated, chickens and pheasants speak different languages.

If your silkie hen goes broody, there might be a chance of her hatching them. Silkies are known for their broodiness.
Even then I would still remove them to a brooder to raise. As @sourland , has stated, chickens and pheasants speak different languages.
#007Sean. I’m going to be building a new enclosure for my pheasants. I was wondering for there coop how big would you say it should be ? Do they actually need a “house”

#007Sean. I’m going to be building a new enclosure for my pheasants. I was wondering for there coop how big would you say it should be ? Do they actually need a “house”
They need a covered section, not necessarily a 'house' to be able to get out of the weather. I don't have to worry about severe cold weather, just extreme hot and humid weather. They can get out of the sun, rain, wind with this setup.
Mine are 5' x 6' x 30' each pen, total enclosure foot print 30' long x 40' wide, 8 pens total.
Here's some pics, maybe get an idea of what you want to do!
20151026_182940.jpg

Sheltered area, each pen is 5' wide x 12' deep, 8' high at opening to run
pheasants 005.jpg

Completed enclosure
pheasants 006.jpg

Completed enclosure
20160123_162345.jpg

South end of enclosure, looking towards North end sheltered area

They need a covered section, not necessarily a 'house' to be able to get out of the weather. I don't have to worry about severe cold weather, just extreme hot and humid weather. They can get out of the sun, rain, wind with this setup.
Mine are 5' x 6' x 30' each pen, total enclosure foot print 30' long x 40' wide, 8 pens total.
Here's some pics, maybe get an idea of what you want to do!
View attachment 1677070
Sheltered area, each pen is 5' wide x 12' deep, 8' high at opening to run
View attachment 1677078
Completed enclosure
View attachment 1677087
Completed enclosure
View attachment 1677088
South end of enclosure, looking towards North end sheltered area

That’s awesome. Thanx man. So just as long as they have some where to get out of the weather would be good enough for them. ? Those a really nice looking pens :)

Back
Top Bottom