My hen is limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenladyinMN, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    I posted this yesterday but did not get any responses. I have a 3 yr old Americauna hen and since the day we got her she would limp every "once in a blue moon" but this time it seems worse because now she wants to hold the leg under her and try to hop on the other leg. I have never seen it like this. I did get a hold of her and checked the leg, there is no swelling and it seems to all be in order. So should I be concerned that something else is going on?[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Sorry you haven't gotten any responses. Kind of hard with so little info. You are sure it's not bumblefoot.
    You say she's limped a little for as long as you've had her. How long is that?
    I'm really just guessing, but maybe try vitamins & electrolites. Sometimes poor nutritional intake and/or vitamin deficiency can cause lameness.
    Is vet an option?

Good luck

Imp

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You checked the bottom of her foot carefully? My first thought was bumblefoot too. Look for a scab and possible swelling on the pad of her foot. I'm not sure what it could be if not that, but I would try to cage her separately for a few days so that she can rest it and you can observe her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by