My hen is making a weird sound like a long hiccup

richbrad08

Chirping
10 Years
May 16, 2013
hello, it’s been a while since I post. Started back raising chickens. Got a mix flock. Today my silver Wyandotte is making a weird noise. Not sure if it’s something I should be concerned about.

That is a sneeze. Is she doing that often? She might be showing signs of a respiratory infection, such as infectious bronchitis. Look for any clear nasal drainage, congestion, or watery/bubbly eyes. Sometimes I will see a chicken sneeze after eating dusty feed, and getting something in her nose.

Edited to say—After again looking at the video, it appears that the chicken is crowing,and not sneezing.

Last edited:
hello, it’s been a while since I post. Started back raising chickens. Got a mix flock. Today my silver Wyandotte is making a weird noise. Not sure if it’s something I should be concerned about.

This made me giggle ... I have a hen who does this, Im almost positive she’s trying to crow. My dominant hen does this. Apparently it’s a thing lol. A friend of mine who’s very experienced and breeds chickens wasn’t concerned when he heard my hen and agreed with me on the crowing thing. I personally don’t think she’s sneezing, I’ve heard mine sneeze from respiratory infection and doesn’t sound like this at all ...But I very well could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have had a couple of crowing hens...usually an alpha hen and no roosters...they sort of take on that role of crowing.

Thanks. I would have never guess crowing since there all hens. I wouldn’t say she’s dominate the golden lace Wyandotte would be my guess since she chases the puppy and she runs to other chickens if they get pick up. I am going to check for drainage just to make sure

I've had hens crow also, it often sounds weird and can make the first reaction be that they are sick, and mistake it for a cough or sneeze. Most of mine only do it occasionally, or for a short time and then stop. I would check her over for safeties sake, but my first reaction was that that was a crow.

Well, after looking again at the video, I also agree with the others that it sounds like an attempt to crow. Sorry, ai didn’t pay more attention, and jumped to sneezing as the sound.

Back
Top Bottom