my hen is sick

Oshandon

Hatching
Mar 25, 2018
My hen is bobbling her head and has fluid coming out of her beak and her comb has flopped over there is no sour smell but has diahreah. Does anyone know what causes this. She is retaining fluid in her croup.

Last edited:
Well she just wasn't eating and her crop was full of fluid and coming out of her beak. I gave her some probiotics yesterday and a 1/4 of protandum and she actually ate some grits and eggs this morning and seems to be feeling better still not herself but signs of improvement

Did the crop empty overnight or is it still somewhat full?
Massaging the crop, being careful that you don't push the contents up so she aspirates may help loosen whatever is in there.

Crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition like worms, coccidiosis, infection or reproductive problems. Essentially there is inflammation/infection somewhere else within the body that is slowing/restricting the passage of food - this backs up the crop.

It's good that she is feeling a bit better, please keep us posted.

I had some soluble penicillin and treated her for two days for any infections and I did massage her crop. I felt her abdomen and it was soft. I am going to the feed store soon and get a wormer

My hen is bobbling her head and has fluid coming out of her beak and her comb has flopped over there is no sour smell but has diahreah. Does anyone know what causes this. She is retaining fluid in her croup.
I have a three year hen with these same symptoms. She had an egg bust in her last year. She was put on antibiotics for two weeks. She finally recovered but has been repeat issues. I'm not sure what to do now. I've given scrambled eggs to her and chick crumbles. She eats very little. Her comb is dark red and purple now. It's also flopped over. She walks around slowly but mostly lays down.
I hope you have better luck with your girl.

Back
Top Bottom