My hen is sitting on a golf ball!

well , believe what you want , but read several places on here of broody's dying from being deyhdrated . and I could tell mine was getting very weak and was not getting off nest , and at 98º this summer , so I did the next best thing .

well , believe what you want , but read several places on here of broody's dying from being deyhdrated . and I could tell mine was getting very weak and was not getting off nest , and at 98º this summer , so I did the next best thing .

It has never ever happened with all the many broody hens we've had here, nor have I ever heard of it happening to anyone else's. I'd be interested to read those posts.

I do know that each hen seems to have her own degree of broodiness, her own provision of mothering instincts. A lot of modern breeds have had that selectively bred out of them, and the ones who retain it often don't do it very well. So perhaps there are some ditzy broody hens who would neglect their own needs while incubating eggs.

Most of the broody hens we've had here have been mixed-breed bantams. Some are better setters & mothers than others, but none have ever died of starvation or dehydration, not even close to it.

I do check on them every day & night, to be sure they have food & water on hand for whenever they do take their breaks. But I would never take one off the nest to make her eat/drink, especially not routinely twice a day. Unless, of course, one was obviously suffering. They all do get that faraway stare and set very very still, but I've never seen one that looked ill or deprived. I'd be more concerned about discouraging a hen by disrupting her concentration so often, or disrupting her management of her eggs' temp & humidity.

Hearing of all the troubles folks have hatching eggs in incubators, having to maintain just the right temp & humidity & keeping the eggs turned, I'm always impressed that these little bird-brained hens can conduct a successful hatch all by themselves. I've seen hens set eggs during our coldest times, clamping themselves almost flat over their nests and taking only the shortest of breaks. I've also seen them setting during the height of summer, when they allow themselves longer stretches off their nests. I even saw one hen standing up over her eggs! I guess she felt they would be too hot if she set right on them, or that they needed to cool down a bit.

After seeing that, I was persuaded as to the competence of most hens in caring for their eggs, chicks, and themselves. I would advise most folks to do the same with their own broody hens. Of course they still need daily care & attention, and an alert keeper to notice if ever they were in need of intervention. But I would think that would be the rare exception, and not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom