My hen is walking funny and falling over

amyreed90

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
My hen started to stumble over a month ago, I thought nothing of it. In the last few days she is falling over and is trying not to use her right leg. I brought her home and checked her over, no signs of injury. But I did find she had been infested in lice. I have now got on top of that and fingers crossed they have gone. I think she was so bad as she isn't cleaning her self. Started giving her vitamins two days ago. Also treating her for scaly leg mite as they are a little scaly, none of the other hens display Any of the symptoms. She is still eating and drinking.

What did you use to get rid of the lice?

Does she lay eggs, when was the last one?

Sometimes it's hard to know what's causing a decline.
With a slow decline over a month along with a lice infestation, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem too. Hens may have a number of issues arise, which one came first or caused the other, sometimes it's hard to know.

I would work on hydration and her eating well. Make sure the lice are gone on the body, work on ridding her of the SLM as well, worm if needed. Vitamin support is good too.

Just a note here - Lice on the body can be treated with Permethrin dust or spray.
Scaly Leg Mites live under the scales of the legs and feet, they do require a different method of treatment since dusts and sprays don't penetrate deeply enough to smother or affect them. A thick coating of vaseline, oil or Nu Stock cream applied a couple of times a week for a month is an effective treatment for SLM. There are other treatment options too.

I used desi dust and in the end had to wash them out with dog, flea and tick shampoo which done the trick. I have used desi dust on the rest of them and is doing the job. Sheila the sick hen was infested with them so had to take another option. I don't think she has layed an egg in a long time, she is a silkie and i only have one other silkie which im getting roughly 2/3 eggs a week off. I will worm them as I have some flubendazole in the house. I am also spraying a scaly leg mite spray on there legs just incase.

I used desi dust and in the end had to wash them out with dog, flea and tick shampoo which done the trick. I have used desi dust on the rest of them and is doing the job. Sheila the sick hen was infested with them so had to take another option. I don't think she has layed an egg in a long time, she is a silkie and i only have one other silkie which im getting roughly 2/3 eggs a week off. I will worm them as I have some flubendazole in the house. I am also spraying a scaly leg mite spray on there legs just incase.
Yes, most find that DE or Desi dust is just not effective when tryin to treat an infestation. I'm glad that you went ahead and used something to rid her for the lice. Depending on what you got for the SLM you may find that you need to treat them differently too.

Hopefully she will perk up with you getting rid of the bugs and deworming. I'd also get some extra vitamins into her and give some protein a few times a week as well.

Back
Top Bottom