My hen is weezing

Chickeroo63

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
North Carolina
Hi. I have a 9 month old silkie hen who hatched chicks 3 weeks ago and they're brooding in my house. Today I noticed my hen has a little clear liquid dripping from her beak and she sounds like she may be weezing occasionally. Any ideas of what this could be and how to treat her? Her chicks still sleep under her and she is very attentive to them.
Thanks for any advice

Does she have any bubbles or foam in either eye, and have you heard any sneezing? Have you ever had a respiratory infection in a bird in the past? If you feel that she is suffering from a respiratory disease, you can try and get Tylan 50 injectable from your feed store. Give it orally, 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days.

Does she have any bubbles or foam in either eye, and have you heard any sneezing? Have you ever had a respiratory infection in a bird in the past? If you feel that she is suffering from a respiratory disease, you can try and get Tylan 50 injectable from your feed store. Give it orally, 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days.
She a noise once in a while. I can't tell if she is sneezing or coughing. She seems normal. She takes care of her chicks, eats, walks around. She looks good. No bubbles or foam. Never had any other respiratory issues in the flock. I gave her a little vet rx. I will look for the Tylan 50. Thanks for the response and info.

Tylan 50 has really increased in price in recent years at TSC, and may be hard to find. Tylosin generic powder is found online here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days.

She may not need an antibiotic unless she develops more symptoms. She could have a virus, or she might just be reacting to something in the environment, such as dust, poor circulation, or feed getting into her nostrils.

Tylan 50 has really increased in price in recent years at TSC, and may be hard to find. Tylosin generic powder is found online here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days.

She may not need an antibiotic unless she develops more symptoms. She could have a virus, or she might just be reacting to something in the environment, such as dust, poor circulation, or feed getting into her nostrils.
Thank you for all the advice and information. I will check into both antibiotics suggestions. It may be a good idea to have one on hand since supplies can be difficult to find. Hopefully it's not a serious illness.

Back
Top Bottom