My hen just laid 7 eggs

I've had varying experiences with reds. One lived for about 8 or 9 years, and long after she stopped laying she then prolapsed so bad her whole insides were on the floor :(.I lost others at 2/3 years, and some inbetween. They laid like machines until their bodies just gave up. Loved them though, so friendly and they were my first chickens so have a real place in my heart.

I buy large tubs of minced dried garlic at the feed store and just put a small cup in with their layer pellets. They love it. With kitchen jar garlic just do the same.

I've never tried giving them a fresh bulb of garlic. Maybe they'd like that though idk!
Great! Just what I need. Chickens with garlic breath

Reading this thread gave me flashbacks of my first few flocks about 25 years ago... I was in my mid-teens and I wanted chicken so bad but only could have girls so I kept getting red sex links and by the second or third year they would all start getting egg egged bound like a chain reaction... and I would have to cull them.. finally after the second or third batch I switched over to Heritage breeds and haven't had a problem in 20 years.. and like the other members said it might have Be A Lash egg

I guess it could be lash egg, though the thing she laid didn't look anything like any of the pictures I'm seeing. It was a squashy, muddy blob (some of the "shell" came off on my hand like pasty grit) with a membrane and some albumen. The next layer looked the same. The next 2 layers were just membrane and albumen. So by the time I was done peeling it apart, it looked like I had scooped up a giant wad of egg whites, membranes, and pulverized shell. It was a gloppy mess.

I did give all of the girls water with ACV, probiotics, and vitamins today. Harriet looks like her normal self today. I imagine it was quite a relief to get all of that junk out! Everyone has been free ranging since this morning (they've been roaming about for at least 7 hours now) and I haven't seen any odd poses or lethargy from her. Still haven't given them any garlic, but I will before they go back to their run for the night.

Just gave them some minced garlic. Holy frijole! I'm surprised that I didn't lose any skin, since I stupidly poured it into my hand and offered it to them! After 9 years with chickens, you'd think I'd know better. 😂

Just gave them some minced garlic. Holy frijole! I'm surprised that I didn't lose any skin, since I stupidly poured it into my hand and offered it to them! After 9 years with chickens, you'd think I'd know better. 😂

:lau

I did warn you they love it!!! lol

And glad to hear your hen is doing alright 👍

Back
Top Bottom