My hen keeps standing on one leg

Apr 20, 2020
Hey guys! I have a hen and she keeps standing on one leg. I'm not sure if she has an injury on her leg. When I take her out from her coop then she always goes under a bush and stands with one leg, or she sits. She is eating and drinking. Can somebody help me out?

Hey guys! I have a hen and she keeps standing on one leg. I'm not sure if she has an injury on her leg. When I take her out from her coop then she always goes under a bush and stands with one leg, or she sits. She is eating and drinking. Can somebody help me out?

One of my Swedish Flower 5 week olds does this. But he/she also moves around a lot and uses the leg fine. It is always the same leg pulled up.

Does she ever stand on two legs?
Have you checked the underside of her feet for injuries?

One of Swedish Flower 5 week olds does this. But he/she also moves around a lot and uses the leg fine. It is always the same leg pulled up.

Hi, I'm no expert, but learning and willing to think it thru with you!

It may be nothing...or she may have landed wrong, and started to protect 1 leg that was sore.

We just added a ramp recently to/from the roost/poo board, assist our larger or possibly prevent injury in an occasional egg bound bird. Many people use ash on roosts to deter mites, and DE, ash or lime, in coop corners and on poo board.

If she's staying in protected areas more than usual when it is not windy...and nothing scary around - it may well be time for an inspection - both of roost area - and flock.

Have they had a dry place to hang out and dust baths lately?
Have you been able to look at her legs, feet, skin and vent area - to look for signs of bites, bugs or irritation? Are there red spots or raised scales? Swelling or off smells?

Get pix of anything that seems off so others may be able to help.

If she's been bitten by Mites at night, or injured when pecked, you may be able to head off infection before bumblefoot sets in, with an anti-bacterial spray or warm saline or epsom salts soak of feet and legs.

It may be nothing but a chill in the breeze...but good for you for being attentive...if she can trot to you for a treat and otherwise has perky posture with raised tail and smooth feathers, proper food, clean water and healthy poos - probably mean she'll be fine!

Hi, I'm no expert, but learning and willing to think it thru with you!

It may be nothing...or she may have landed wrong, and started to protect 1 leg that was sore.

We just added a ramp recently to/from the roost/poo board, assist our larger or possibly prevent injury in an occasional egg bound bird. Many people use ash on roosts to deter mites, and DE, ash or lime, in coop corners and on poo board.

If she's staying in protected areas more than usual when it is not windy...and nothing scary around - it may well be time for an inspection - both of roost area - and flock.

Have they had a dry place to hang out and dust baths lately?
Have you been able to look at her legs, feet, skin and vent area - to look for signs of bites, bugs or irritation? Are there red spots or raised scales? Swelling or off smells?

Get pix of anything that seems off so others may be able to help.

If she's been bitten by Mites at night, or injured when pecked, you may be able to head off infection before bumblefoot sets in, with an anti-bacterial spray or warm saline or epsom salts soak of feet and legs.

It may be nothing but a chill in the breeze...but good for you for being attentive...if she can trot to you for a treat and otherwise has perky posture with raised tail and smooth feathers, proper food, clean water and healthy poos - probably mean she'll be fine!
Hello, thank you for helping me out! This really helped me. I think she got injured like hit her foot some where. Her foot is red but it’s also really cold so maybe it’s red from the cold. She isn’t infected by any mites and she never gets pecked. I got very worried for her because she never got sick or hurt before. But I really appreciate for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom