My hen laid a soft shelled egg is that normal???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theblackridge16, Dec 13, 2010.

1. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    I have 15 pullets and got 15 eggs yesterday, but then when i went to lock in my ladys for the night there was a soft shelled egg in one of the nests. i know it was laid by one of my white leghorns because it was white but is that normal is she ok? i've heard white leghorns can lay twice a day at time but i just wanted to make sure that was ok ?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It is not uncommon to sometimes get soft-shelled eggs. You see them most frequently from new layers, ailing/injured birds and during/after a molt. Just a glitch in the system and probably nothing to worry about. The only time you would worry is if it is happening regularly. Offering free choice oyster shells will help to ensure good thick egg shells.

Good luck.

3. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    My white leghorns and Red Star periodically went through that. They were on good quality layer pellets and had oyster shell; they had free ranging time on the evenings and weekends. The addition of Avia charge 2000 (it's a vitamen supplement, helps with absorption of the calcium) did decrease the icidences of it quite a bit. It was always the high performance layers; I figured that sometimes they just couldn't keep up with the amount of eggs they laid. My hens' soft eggs were never laid in the box though; thry usually drppoed them at night while roosting.

You can get the Avia from Murray MacMurray if you want it. Looks and smells awful, but the chickens like it.

4. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Thanks for the advice i just wanted to make sure it was ok for that to happen. Thanks again for the info!

5. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    My barred rocks just started laying and one of the first eggs was a soft shelled one. We ate it!

6. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I have had some hens lay some "shell-less eggs" and after that they have shells after that. There are many reasons for that. New layers, stress, two eggs in a day, and other things. I would not worry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by