My hen pecked all the shell off an egg. The chicks beak is out and it is peeping. What should i do? Why would momma hen do this?

Planning on having the chick. We have been finding dead chicks under momma hen. We have a hen with one chick already. But have found 5 mostly developed dead chicks with no shells.
That does not sounds like an assisted hatch at all. I've never heard of a hen eating live chick eggs, but I have heard of roosters doing this.

That does not sounds like an assisted hatch at all. I've never heard of a hen eating live chick eggs, but I have heard of roosters doing this.
I wonder if at night my rooster is wreaking havoc then. Maybe my other half has a game cam I can borrow for the coop for a bit to see what is going on.

No. Just a few scraps of shells in the nest box and the squished flat baby chick.

Screenshot_20210729-172159_Gallery.jpg

Planning on having the chick. We have been finding dead chicks under momma hen. We have a hen with one chick already. But have found 5 mostly developed dead chicks with no shells.

Back
Top Bottom