My Hen!!!! PLZ HELP! (Warning: There are Horrid pictures of the injuries)

Chicken Tamer

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
On The Couch (-:P
Yesterday, I got 2 new hens. I brought them home and put them in a cage together. This morning I went out there and one of my hens were really bloody!! The other one attacked her!!! I have the hen inside, and I dabbed a wet cloth on her back were the injuries are. Also I Put neosporin on her back too. Is there anything else I can do? Here are some pictures:

Also, I put electrolights in her water, and apple cider viniger.

I recommend that you make a 50/50 betadine/water solution and gently wipe her back down as best as you can. Then continue applying neosporin til she heals.

I am so new to chickens,
so sorry about your hen,
If she is not eating, (I deal with cockateils) but someone posted that you can give them exact baby bird, its a powder that you mix with water, not hot water but warm, cockateils babys I heat up to 103 degrees but I do not know about chickens.then let it drip from the top of the beak and they will catch it with the lower beak
it looks like she is stressed, is she warm enough?
I hope somebody will help you out very soon

She is in the garage so idk if it warm enough. I am not aloud to bring birds into the house anymore, after what happened with my goose. My goose made a big mess.

When you say you had them in a cage together - what kind of cage? Adult chickens confined to a cage with each other don't do well most of the time. Where there is little space, it's survival of the fittest. One will usually overpower the other due to no space of their own. Whenever you buy new chickens (hens or roosters) that are older than 2 weeks, they should always be kept completely separate from other chickens during their 'quarantine' time unless they grew up together and are 100% used to being with each other since hatch. Place each in their own cage until you're ready to introduce them to your flock. You can keep the cages in close proximity to the other so they have that feeling of not being alone, but not in the same cage.

I would keep doing what you're doing in regard to the *non pain reliever* Neosporin, but I wouldn't put wet paper towels on her sores anymore. Contrary to popular belief, paper towels are loaded with chemicals (to make them safe for human use, go figure) - mainly formaldehyde and dioxin. I'd keep the wound open to the elements for faster healing, but I would definitely keep her separated until she's fully healed and continue to keep an eye on it.

I'm sorry she's going through this.

Last edited:
OMG! Were they from different places? Poor girl. Did you give 1/2 an aspirin too? Half of an adult dose or a full baby aspirin will help with pain and with shock. A bit of added heat, if you have a 75-100 watt red light...

Yes they were from the same place, I dont know why the other one attacked her. They both were a little mean when I got them. They pecked me alittle. They were from the same place, thats why I am so suprised!

When you say you had them in a cage together - what kind of cage? Adult chickens confined to a cage with each other don't do well most of the time. Where there is little space, it's survival of the fittest. One will usually overpower the other due to no space of their own. Whenever you buy new chickens (hens or roosters) that are older than 2 weeks, they should always be kept completely separate from other chickens during their 'quarantine' time unless they grew up together and are 100% used to being with each other since hatch. Place each in their own cage until you're ready to introduce them to your flock. You can keep the cages in close proximity to the other so they have that feeling of not being alone, but not in the same cage.

I would keep doing what you're doing in regard to the *non pain reliever* Neosporin, but I wouldn't put wet paper towels on her sores anymore. Contrary to popular belief, paper towels are loaded with chemicals (to make them safe for human use, go figure) - mainly formaldehyde and dioxin. I'd keep the wound open to the elements for faster healing, but I would definitely keep her separated until she's fully healed and continue to keep an eye on it.

I'm sorry she's going through this.

A pretty big cage, It can fit my dog, and he is a goldendoodle. Its one of those black wire cages, the big ones. And I only left the paper towel on for like 10 mins. Then I put the neosporin on.

Poor thing.. that hurts to look at.. I agree with the Betadine solution but you might consider taking her to the vet also. They will be able to better tell how deep her wounds are, maybe dispense some antibiotics, give better/professional advice, etc. so she doesn't suffer any more than she clearly already is.

Back
Top Bottom