My hen sounds like a Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hen--rietta, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Hen--rietta

Hen--rietta New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    Maui Hawaii
    My hens were given as a gift. They are Rhode Island Reds.. about 7 months old. I am new to chickens but I really enjoy them. We started with 3 hens , 1 escaped and got attacked you a neighborhood dog. We have 2 left and they sure are spolied. Just a couple days ago rhode runner started making this weird rooster like sound every morning at about 630am. I'm worried she may be a he. Do hens ever make these noises? It's only a few times until I go give her some food. They are free range so they spend the rest of the day sitting around in the sun.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Hens sometimes make crowing noises and some hens actually crow, believe it or not! If you post pics in the What Breed Or Gender is This? forum section we'll be able to tell you what you've got.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Some hens do crow, but more often than not, a crowing "hen" is a rooster. If you post in the What Breed or Gender is This? section of the forums (link provided by Sumi), we should be able to sex your crower.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Older hens can start crowing. But if this is a young bird, chances are it is a rooster. Definitely post a pic in our What Breed and Gender section. Sumi has left you with the link.

Sorry for your losses. It is never easy to lose them. Enjoy your babies!

5. Gerard Dawn

Gerard Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    USA
    Yes some hens do crow, but sometimes the noise is different from the one roosters make and can be continuous. They usually make this noise in the morning especially when she has chicks.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome! Glad to have you! feel free to ask questions we'll try to get you answers

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think your hen is a rooster in disguise. Do they get along well? Have you seen the suspicious one trying to breed the other? If they both start laying eggs, then you will know for sure. If you posed a phot - we could probably tell you right away.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Okay. the other members have helped you already[​IMG] BUT here is a greeting from me!!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens[​IMG]!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by