My hen turns aggressive overnight

Coffgirl

Chirping
Apr 5, 2018
Thailand
She's 5 months old and was always sweet and very attached to me.
but yesterday she started to be really aggressive out of the blue.
she makes chatter noise, pecks my hand and tries to aim for my eyes.
I really don't understand why this happened because she always was sweet even the day before she went aggressive.

I'd like to know if anything can cause this to happen and will she will be back to normal?
please help this really breaks my heart. :(

This is her picture, this one when she was calmed and friendly
DpNO7POUYAADlyh.jpg

She'a a bit young to go broody. Usually pullets get friendlier once they start laying. How long has she been laying? Maybe try not approaching her for awhile.

Are you picking her up?
Chicks are often tolerant of human handling but as they get older some really don't like being handled, expecially if you take their feet off the floor.
I would suggest you re-establish friendly relations while she's standing; gently touching her beak while you hand feed is one method. pretending to pick mites from her crown and wattles is another.

Last edited:
she mostly jumped on my lap by herself most of time but now I can't even hold her because she keeps pecking my hand so I can't even pet her back.

I picked her up a lot back then and massaged her because she seemed really calmed and she tried so hard to stick on me so I can't believe it just changes overnight.

The chatter sound sounds like a broody to me.
look around in her house for a hidden nest.
My broodies do that chatter thing when birds come near their nest. It means back the f off lol. Sometimes they do it when they're getting ready to lay too.

Back
Top Bottom