my hen went nuts!!

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
So i have new silkies. They are in a separate run connected to the other one that my brown layers are in. I have to put the 9 week old chicks out in the run and bring them back to their coop in the evening . The run n coop are not connected yet. They can see each other, and are close enough to stick their heads into the new run. Well, one hen showed her dislike of them by making her head feathers all stand up in a circle around her head and made a sound to show her feelings about the newbies. Wish i had a pic of that. The pic shows how close the pens are. just wanted to share and I know its normal behavior.

Attachments

• 20210827_133849.jpg
    20210827_133849.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 14
I've had hens grawl at newcomers before... It can be pretty normal. Just, if you're planning on later adding your Silkies to that flock, I'd be a little worried due to the differences such as feather feel, feathered legs, and top hat. A bit different can be a problem with some birds...

I've had hens grawl at newcomers before... It can be pretty normal. Just, if you're planning on later adding your Silkies to that flock, I'd be a little worried due to the differences such as feather feel, feathered legs, and top hat. A bit different can be a problem with some birds...
Agreed! Plus with a Silkies vaulted skull, it won't take much for one of the older hens to hurt the silkies, possibly even causing head trauma. My Silkies are bullied by all of my other birds, except for the Bantams. I had hopes of keeping everyone together but it didn't work out for me. That's not to say that it won't work for your bird. I wish you the best ❤️

We are planning on keeping them separated. We were going to originally add them but decided not to.

We are planning on keeping them separated. We were going to originally add them but decided not to.
Ok. Good. Then as long as they can't reach each other through the fence, then they should be pretty fine. No worries. If they can reach through the fence, I suggest placing a board or something in between the fences so they can't reach each other. ;)

Back
Top Bottom