MY HEN WILL NOT OPEN HER EYE

MyBackyard

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
I have a hen that is keeping one eye closed for the past 2 days. I checked it close and don't see any thing wrong, no swelling or running nothing out of the ordinary she just is keeping it closed? Any Ideas?

Last edited:
She could have a scratch or a tiny piece of debris in it. Using sterile saline or contact lense saline solution you can flush her eye to see if that corrects the problem.

I keep a tube of antibiotic eye ointment on hand just in case one of them injures an eye. Bet if it was Sat. evening and I didn't have it I'd wish I did. LOL

well we have been washing the eye out with eye wash for two days now and she still does not open it. She is eating, drinking, and laying fine. Big Red is her name. I am wondering if she has gotten in a fight with on of the other hens. She was top on the pecking order until about 2-3 months ago and then she kinda became laid back and one of the other hens took over. I just wonder if they have gotten in a figtht and she got pecked in the eye.

Considering the rapidness that the eye can heal itself there may be something else bothering her. Just watch for changes.

I had 1 do this and after cleaning it I put a drop of biomycin in it and it helped clear up what was wrong with it as its a antibiotic and I did this for a few days and it worked for me.

I tell you what it is something else to wash out a chickens eye
wink.png
She was funny last night, my wife is doing the solution while I hold her...She does not care much for moma wright now..
tongue.png
She got loose from me and jumped up on my shoulder and put her head against mine
sad.png

Last edited:
something that i have found to help a bird with a cealed eye is to put a bit of vaseline on it to help it. works for me

There are several different strains of MG affecting poultry (you can see some here:
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_11.pdf
(table 11.2)
which causes conjunctivitis in poultry...
...I am wondering if if an MG is involved?

From the article EYE DISORDERS OF POULTRY:
"...Bacterial Infections
A number of bacterial infections can lead to damage of the eye. Salmonella bacteria, particularly Salmonella typhimurium and Salmonella arizona , are known to cause severe purulent conjunctivitis and ophthalmitis (inflammation of the eyeball and conjunctiva with pus) and blindness. Often young birds acquire the infections from the hen or through navel or yolk sac infections.

Fungal Infections
Molds readily grow on a number of different materials, including poultry feed and litter. A common mold is Aspergillus . Birds can be exposed to Aspergillus or other fungi in the hatchery, or more commonly in poorly dried litter. While Aspergillus is usually considered a respiratory tract pathogen, it can also invade the brain and eye. Yellow plaques develop and can be found under the eyelid. The eye becomes inflamed and severe damage can occur.

Nutrional Deficiencies
Certain vitamin deficiencies, such as vitamin A and vitamin E, can result in damage to the eye. Vitamin A is necessary for the production of visual pigment of the retina and for maintenance of the lining of the tear ducts. Vitamin E is necessary for maintenance of the lens protein in the developing embryo. Vitamin E is passed from the breeder hen to the egg. If the breeder is receiving inadequate vitamin E in the diet, the embryo will suffer from a vitamin E deficiency and possible blindness. Vitamin deficiencies are rare when commercial poultry feeds are used. ..."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom