1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen won't ever open one eye...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, Jul 28, 2011.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    The title pretty much says it all... My chicken, martha keeps one eye closed at all times. The other eye is perfectly fine.
    When I open the eye myself her pupil is kind of blurry so does this mean she is blind in that eye? I just didn't want it to get infected or something since it stays closed.

Is there something I should do to help her?

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the link.
    I got her from an auction about 2 and a half years ago.

When I got her, her eyes were perfectly fine. About six months after I got her, a raccoon got into her coop and left her right leg horribly injured. You could see the bone and everything. Anyways, eventually she healed up and she's fine now. That's the only injury that I know of that she's ever had. It wasn't until months after the raccoon attack that I noticed her eye. Could this be something that somehow slowly affected her eye?

Do chickens ever just randomly get a blind eye(s) as they age? (she can't be too old because she still lays eggs). If a picture would help I can get one of her tomorrow. Thanks again:) if I can figure out what would be the best drops for her I will order some from that link but I wouldn't want to get the wrong kind

4. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    She could gave an ulcer in her eye ,she could of got something in there & it rubbed a sore on her eyeball & is just now irritated . Maybe you could get a eye ointment & try that

5. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    She has had this problem for a while now though. Do ulcers stay in the eye until they are treated? Her eye has been like this for a few months. I should have posted this before but never got around to doing it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by