My hen won't ever open one eye...

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
The title pretty much says it all... My chicken, martha keeps one eye closed at all times. The other eye is perfectly fine.
When I open the eye myself her pupil is kind of blurry so does this mean she is blind in that eye? I just didn't want it to get infected or something since it stays closed.

Is there something I should do to help her?

Thanks for the link.
I got her from an auction about 2 and a half years ago.

When I got her, her eyes were perfectly fine. About six months after I got her, a raccoon got into her coop and left her right leg horribly injured. You could see the bone and everything. Anyways, eventually she healed up and she's fine now. That's the only injury that I know of that she's ever had. It wasn't until months after the raccoon attack that I noticed her eye. Could this be something that somehow slowly affected her eye?

Do chickens ever just randomly get a blind eye(s) as they age? (she can't be too old because she still lays eggs). If a picture would help I can get one of her tomorrow. Thanks again:) if I can figure out what would be the best drops for her I will order some from that link but I wouldn't want to get the wrong kind

She could gave an ulcer in her eye ,she could of got something in there & it rubbed a sore on her eyeball & is just now irritated . Maybe you could get a eye ointment & try that

She has had this problem for a while now though. Do ulcers stay in the eye until they are treated? Her eye has been like this for a few months. I should have posted this before but never got around to doing it.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom