My hens are all of a sudden scared of EVERYTHING!! help! First time chicken owner here!!

It takes my chickens at least a week, maybe 10 days, to settle down after a hawk scare. Longer if the hawk actually gets one. Yes, they are traumatized, like kids after a school shooting. They want to huddle in the coop and peer out the door, scanning the sky. They dare one another to go out. "No, YOU go! Not me, YOU GO! I'll go if you go. You go first. Let's go together. Okay....." Finally they catch their breath, screw up their courage, and go out, two or three at a time. The others watch and gain confidence and pretty soon they're all out. After a bit they seem to forget they ever worried at all. Give them time. They'll know when they're ready. Give them shelters, places to hide under in case of another air raid.
Thank you so much!! Iv been setting out foldable chiars in the yard for then to run under! It's been about a week and a half now since my original post and they are just starting to Gian there courage again and things are getting back to normal!

Thank you so much!! Iv been setting out foldable chiars in the yard for then to run under! It's been about a week and a half now since my original post and they are just starting to Gian there courage again and things are getting back to normal!
Great idea! They need that top cover for when the hawks come back - because they will come back. We live on a 150 acre hardwood tree farm, so have every predator imaginable and then some. I have a large covered run and only let the girls out when I can be with them. (And even that’s no guarantee.) If you can, get a rooster.

Great idea! They need that top cover for when the hawks come back - because they will come back. We live on a 150 acre hardwood tree farm, so have every predator imaginable and then some. I have a large covered run and only let the girls out when I can be with them. (And even that’s no guarantee.) If you can, get a rooster.
Oh wow! That's a lot of land! But yes my girls stay in there closed in run until I can be outside with them then they have a large fenced in yard that they play in (this yard also doubles as a dog yard when the chickens are not in it!)

If you can't get a rooster, get some Black Australorps. You see, crows chase hawks away. And BA chickens look like big ol' crows on steroids! I've had 10 BA for about a year now and guess what? Have not seen a single hawk since they fledged out! Nice calm birds that lay well, too!

If you can't get a rooster, get some Black Australorps. You see, crows chase hawks away. And BA chickens look like big ol' crows on steroids! I've had 10 BA for about a year now and guess what? Have not seen a single hawk since they fledged out! Nice calm birds that lay well, too!
Oh wow! Thanks you I'll definitely look into that!

Oooooh, or a couple of black Jersey Giants! My girl, Elvira, is my co-alpha. She’s a bit of a whiner, but a sweet girl who loves to sit right under my chair. I have to admit tho, she doesn’t seem to be a deterrent for hawks or eagles. We do feed the ravens tho. They hang out at the deer feeder. I always know when they’re around. (I’m hard-of-hearing, so I miss a lot of the higher frequency bird calls - including hawks and eagles!)

E9FF4DC2-0181-4187-9245-ED427D74608D.jpeg

Oooooh, or a couple of black Jersey Giants! My girl, Elvira, is my co-alpha. She’s a bit of a whiner, but a sweet girl who loves to sit right under my chair. I have to admit tho, she doesn’t seem to be a deterrent for hawks or eagles. We do feed the ravens tho. They hang out at the deer feeder. I always know when they’re around. (I’m hard-of-hearing, so I miss a lot of the higher frequency bird calls - including hawks and eagles!)

View attachment 2663865
Pretty girl! I have a BJG rooster, love him! How's your hen for egg production?

Back
Top Bottom