My hens are all of a sudden scared of EVERYTHING!! help! First time chicken owner here!!

Emmas7Chickens

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
Ok so this is my first time ever doing this so hopefully ill do this right. I have 7 hens, all just turned 1 at the beginning of this month(april 9) well probably about 3 days ago they had a vary scary day. They were outside there run having there daily scheduled outside time and there was about 3 large hawks flying around almost all day. The hawks never came after my girls only were flying over head. But it made my girls vary on edge all day. When I went to bring them in the run using there bottle filled with there favorite snacks (meal worms and scratch!) They all refused to come in the yard! Since then every single night iv had to catch them one by one and carry them into there yard. Sometimes they'll follow me into the yard and start eating there snacks but if anything suddenly moves or makes sound they all fly up and run away terrified and then were back at square one, the chickens are running away scared and im frustrated! I love my girls so so much and it's really stressing me out knowing that there so stressed out and I don't know what to do for them! And my girls are not scared chickens, im a vary loud person so from the time they hatched out of there eggs they've been around me. There not scared of tractors, trucks, loud voices, and they have never been scared of me but now all of a sudden they are!? If anyone has any idea and or tips of somethings I can do please let me know!

Ok so this is my first time ever doing this so hopefully ill do this right. I have 7 hens, all just turned 1 at the beginning of this month(april 9) well probably about 3 days ago they had a vary scary day. They were outside there run having there daily scheduled outside time and there was about 3 large hawks flying around almost all day. The hawks never came after my girls only were flying over head. But it made my girls vary on edge all day. When I went to bring them in the run using there bottle filled with there favorite snacks (meal worms and scratch!) They all refused to come in the yard! Since then every single night iv had to catch them one by one and carry them into there yard. Sometimes they'll follow me into the yard and start eating there snacks but if anything suddenly moves or makes sound they all fly up and run away terrified and then were back at square one, the chickens are running away scared and im frustrated! I love my girls so so much and it's really stressing me out knowing that there so stressed out and I don't know what to do for them! And my girls are not scared chickens, im a vary loud person so from the time they hatched out of there eggs they've been around me. There not scared of tractors, trucks, loud voices, and they have never been scared of me but now all of a sudden they are!? If anyone has any idea and or tips of somethings I can do please let me know!
Do you have a rooster ? If not you need one. Give them time to calm down after seeing the Hawk, they will go out when they feel the threat is gone.

You will just have to give them time. I have 3 young hens in a coop and yard, but one feral hen who comes and goes when she likes (escaped from a neighbor’s yard). One of my dogs scared the feral hen and she disappeared for 10 days, I was sure she was gone, but she came back and is still very affectionate.
Use my experience as a timeline - give your girls 10 days to forget their fear :)

Attachments

• 4DBC09C8-60DB-4731-87AC-A069CB6E1A1C.jpeg
    4DBC09C8-60DB-4731-87AC-A069CB6E1A1C.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 10
You will just have to give them time. I have 3 young hens in a coop and yard, but one feral hen who comes and goes when she likes (escaped from a neighbor’s yard). One of my dogs scared the feral hen and she disappeared for 10 days, I was sure she was gone, but she came back and is still very affectionate.
Use my experience as a timeline - give your girls 10 days to forget their fear :)
Ok thank you so much!!😊 I will give them there time!

i agree to give tehm 5-10 days to settle down but also avoid letting them out when hawks are about. I know they can't be supervised all the time so maybe an enclosed run would be good. They actually know when they are in a protected run compared to the free outdoors. At least I think so. You won't be able to build anything before they should be fine again but if hawks did scare them that much I wouldn't trust what those hawks are gearing up to plan in future.

It takes my chickens at least a week, maybe 10 days, to settle down after a hawk scare. Longer if the hawk actually gets one. Yes, they are traumatized, like kids after a school shooting. They want to huddle in the coop and peer out the door, scanning the sky. They dare one another to go out. "No, YOU go! Not me, YOU GO! I'll go if you go. You go first. Let's go together. Okay....." Finally they catch their breath, screw up their courage, and go out, two or three at a time. The others watch and gain confidence and pretty soon they're all out. After a bit they seem to forget they ever worried at all. Give them time. They'll know when they're ready. Give them shelters, places to hide under in case of another air raid.

i agree to give tehm 5-10 days to settle down but also avoid letting them out when hawks are about. I know they can't be supervised all the time so maybe an enclosed run would be good. They actually know when they are in a protected run compared to the free outdoors. At least I think so. You won't be able to build anything before they should be fine again but if hawks did scare them that much I wouldn't trust what those hawks are gearing up to plan in future.
Thank you! And yes there run where there coop is I have locked up like Fort Nox😂 but yes when they are out in the yard unfortunately they are uncovered. They are vary good at be aware of there surroundings and they will retreat back to there run if something scares them! But yes I am keeping a close eye in those hawks....they definitely are building up a plan.

Back
Top Bottom