My hens are bullies!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JensChickies, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    My poor Langshan is the one at the bottom of the pecking order. When I first got my flock I didn't know much about breeds so I have 1 langshan, one white rock and one patrigde rock. The people at the feed store said sure they will all work together. Little did I know! The rocks are bossy and gang up on my langshan sometimes. Should I get another docile bird so she can hang out with or will the other bird pick on her too??? Any body with this experience have any advice. Just FYI...next time my whole flock is going to be langshans.
    ReplyQuote

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can remove the most aggressive one, and put them in isolation (dog crate) away from the others for about a week... This will demote her to the bottom of the pecking order when she is returned and should alter her attitude... And then do the same for the other aggressive one if you need more correction...

3. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    That's a good idea. Thank you. There are also pinless peepers that I was thinking about trying too, but I think I will try separating the most aggressive one. Thank you!

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    If possible, you could also get a rooster. They don't usually let the hens pick on each other. Hope it works out for you!

5. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

I would love to get a rooster, but it's not allowed where I live. :(. But thank you though. :cd

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. OakHillFarm

OakHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    also they are probably trying to establish a pecking order it might happen for a while but I wouldn't worry just let the hens do there thing [​IMG]

8. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Thank you everyone for the tips. I :cdhave noticed that some days the torment is better. If it gets worse I am going to try separating the bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by