My hens are bullies!!

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
My poor Langshan is the one at the bottom of the pecking order. When I first got my flock I didn't know much about breeds so I have 1 langshan, one white rock and one patrigde rock. The people at the feed store said sure they will all work together. Little did I know! The rocks are bossy and gang up on my langshan sometimes. Should I get another docile bird so she can hang out with or will the other bird pick on her too??? Any body with this experience have any advice. Just FYI...next time my whole flock is going to be langshans.
ReplyQuote

If you can remove the most aggressive one, and put them in isolation (dog crate) away from the others for about a week... This will demote her to the bottom of the pecking order when she is returned and should alter her attitude... And then do the same for the other aggressive one if you need more correction...

That's a good idea. Thank you. There are also pinless peepers that I was thinking about trying too, but I think I will try separating the most aggressive one. Thank you!

Quote: And a rooster will not always intervene....it's the hens business, lol.

Separating your bully for a bit might do the trick....with a 3 hen flock, it's harder to spread out the 'love'. There will always be a pecking order, as long as no one is getting pinned down or beaten bloody just let them work it out.

Are they all the same age and gotten at the same time?
Sometimes a bird is just bad and needs to be eaten.

Here's some tips for integrating birds:
Integration of new chickens to flock.

Consider medical quarantine.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact. Integrating new birds of equal size works best.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from bully birds.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

also they are probably trying to establish a pecking order it might happen for a while but I wouldn't worry just let the hens do there thing
smile.png

Thank you everyone for the tips. I :cdhave noticed that some days the torment is better. If it gets worse I am going to try separating the bully.

Back
Top Bottom