My hens are FIRED !!!!!!!.

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
So, I had 3 hens go broody within a week of each other, all 3 were set up in their own broody space.

1st hen, tried to kill her chicks (well, 2 died, she tried to kill a 3rd), I took them away, I have 7 in my garage in a brooder box with a heat lamp. (buff hen/white leghorn, this was the second batch for her, first time she was an awesome mother, mothered them until 6 weeks old)

2nd hen. good mom, but, like her sister hen above, got antsy within a week, never sitting much to keep babies warm, wanting out of her brooder pen. At 3 weeks, I did let her and her 8 babies out. Within two days of her bigger living space, she's abandoned her babies, is roosting up high, leaving them below. I am hoping when I'm not looking she is going down and snuggling them, but, don't know for sure.
I shall see what the am brings. They are just 3 weeks old, most of their body feathers are in. I live on Vancouver Island, weather is very nice right now, cooler at nights, the coop is not drafty at all, and insulated. Will these babies be okay, if the mom has abandoned them at night, when mum snuggle time is the longest?
this hen is a full sister to the above hen.
I think my buff orp/white leghorns are now no longer going to be hatching
LIke Donald Trump says......

YOU'RE FIRED !!!!!!!!

I hope all the babies survive the night okay, if indeed their mom has abandoned ship. If so, whew. If they seem cold and inactive or worse, I am going to have do some rearranging of some furniture. In the coop that is.

thanks.

I've had SIX broodies this year. First two did awesome jobs and were awesome moms. 3rd one wouldn't take the chicks.

The last three I've removed from their nests....I'm waiting till they are not clucky anymore before I put them back into the coop.

Luke13:34 :

Tell your hens that not only are they FIRED, but if they don't behave, they run the risk of being FRIED!

yuckyuck.gif
smile.png

I just tossed Ruth, one of my barred rocks, out of the broody pen. She had been sitting on 12 delaware eggs, but she kept breaking the eggs after about 2 weeks and contemned the rest of the eggs.
somad.gif
Not fun finding dead half developed chicks in the nest.
sickbyc.gif
She will not be sitting on any more eggs. I'll leave that to my 3 silkies.

FRIED, now there is an idea.

Not sure what CRANKY FRIED CHICKEN tastes like though.

let the birds out this morning, sure enough she was still roosting up high , away from her babies.

They were okay though, were quick to get outside into their little run, so, I guess no worse for wear. Probably confused as to why their mother doesn't like them anymore.
She's nice to them when she's outside with them.

Maybe it's the time of the year. Maybe one shouldn't let hens go broody late into the summer.

My 3rd hen, who's still with her babies, she'll get to be a mom again, if she wants, she's been really good, this was her first brood.

But, then again, the other two, were great their first times too. Second time around, not so much.

I had to throw some eggs out too, that I know had fully developed chicks in, it's sad, but it's a bit easier though, to toss them, for me anyways, as I can't see their faces. Thank goodness for eggshell barriers.

who knew chickens could be so complex and moody, haha.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
smile.png

I told that very thing to my rooster... he came after me... I shook my finger at him and told him that I would cook his sorry hide! if my family would of caught me doing this... I think they would of fired me to the funny farm...
ya.gif

Luke13:34 :

Tell your hens that not only are they FIRED, but if they don't behave, they run the risk of being FRIED!

lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom