1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My hens are on strike

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykorat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I have 12 hens. They are about 2 years old. We've gotten no eggs in at least a month. They went into a hard molt in October, and nothing since.
    I wonder if I have an egg eater amongst them.. but I have not so much as heard an egg song.
    i know production decreases in the fall/winter, but last year I still got some eggs.. just not many.

Now what do I do?

2. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chirping

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I have yet to experience a molt as my small flock is new this year. But is a month long enough after a hard molt for them to be laying again? I guess I've still not read on here how long a molt is supposed to affect the hens.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am wondering the same thing. I have one hen coming out of a molt and another starting one.[​IMG] Haven't had any eggs from them in weeks.

4. I know how you feel too! I haven't really had any eggs in a couple of months. I have 11 hens & 3 pullets.

2 buff orpington hens were raising a total of 4 chicks, but those chicks are now 3 months old & on thier own.
    1 hen is the only one laying 1 egg every other day. The other BO hasn't really shown any signs of laying yet.

3 pullets are almost 7 months old, and aren't really showing any signs of starting to lay yet ;(

The others are in different stages of molting.

Daylight hours here is under 10 hours at this point. So I am blaming daylight.
    I do not use supplemental light to give all my girls a much needed break to let their bodies build up.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, usually, in their second autumn, that's when they molt big-time. Soooo, with that, combined with shorter daylight hours, you get no eggs. UNLESS........you light your coop from morning until around 8:30 or 9:00 at night.....If they're done molting, then the artificial lighting will start them to laying again......

That's story and I'm stickin' to it! [​IMG]

6. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Hi! I was going to post almost the exact same question. I have about 16 pullets, which were hatched back in March 2010-so this is their second fall/ winter. They did molt one or two at a time throughout the late summer/early fall. I have been adding supplemental light, ( as I did last year with good results). I am getting about 2 EGGS PER DAY! They have good nutrition, I let them free range, no injuries or changes in their coop, no birds added or removed, no trauma that I can tell--but very few eggs! Any ideas why? I will be selling them off in the spring if they don't help pay the feed bill! [​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Sometimes they stop laying in the coop because they don't want to come in from free ranging. Could they have a secret nesting spot that you don't know about?

I would lock them in the coop and run for about 5 days and see what happens.....

Sharon

8. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    Mine are on strike also. Now I know why my grandmother got new pullets every spring. She would use different color leg bands on her hens so she would know what ones was the oldest. At 2 years she usually sold them or butchered them once the new pullets started laying. My problem is I get attached and name them so can't sell them and sure can't eat them [​IMG]

9. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Chicmom--They may have a hiding place that I have not found yet. The one or two eggs I do get per day are usually NOT in the coop--I made them a "Hidey-hole" nest in our barn since they like to go in there alot. I know I should keep them in their pen/enclosure so they have no choice but to lay them in the nest boxes, but they look at me with their big chicken eyes, and complain so loudly when I do keep them enclosed. that most of the time I let them loose. Thanks for the good advice, though! [​IMG]

10. I am surprised no one has mentioned worms.....

Mine almost stopped during molting and change of weather too. Never really picked back up it seemed. I wormed them and almost immediately I started getting 5-7 eggs a day from 9 hens that of laying age.

I use either Valbazen mixed 1 part to 8 parts water, or safeguard liquid (for goats) mixed 1 to 6 (I use 12 cc syringe and draw up 2 of safeguard and 10 of water and shake well. Either one you use you need to give 1 cc mix to full size and 1/2 cc to banty. Discard eggs for 10 days, worm again and discard eggs for 14 days. You should be all set for about 8 months. It is also time for me to put my light back on the timer and I set it to come on at 0600 and off at 0830. I use the 100 watt CFL bulb that draws 23 watts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by