my hens are starting to lay...now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pne123, Sep 22, 2009.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I have five hens, 2 RIR and 3 Wh Leghorns. ONe leghorn has been laying for about 4 days and a RIR just started today. Now what? I have given them free choice oyster shells, food and water. I let them out of the coop in the morning about 7am. they seem to go back into the coup about 11ish to lay. we lock them up at nite after it is dark. we pick up the eggs when we get a chance. anything i am missing or should do? should i try to get the eggs as soon as they are laid or can the sit out for awhile. I read some people leave their chickens in until after they lay.

2. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    what do ya mean "what next"?? invite the gang over for breakfast. and i am on my way too. [​IMG]

on a more serious note. it does not matter if you keep them locked up or let them out. its just a preference for yourself. We do not have a coop. Just pens. So they are always out. They will lay were ever they want and we usually go out 2 to 3 times a day and collect the eggs. but most people just go out once a day and collect the eggs. again it is just a preference. just make sure you collect at least once a day. when you bring your eggs inside. Do NOT wash them. Egg shells are porous. You will introduce bacteria into them. Also let them sit out in a bowl on your table or cabinet. Dont put them straight into the fridge or they will sweat. Again, yuck and risky. If the shells are dirty, wait until you are ready to use them and wipe gently with a damp dish cloth just prior to cracking open. If you notice blood spots in a lot of your eggs (and you will get them), just start giving your hens a carrot or 2 shredded each day for more vitamin A. And thats about it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by