My hens aren't laying, but other chicks I sold from same batch are!?

Re: combs. They need to grow, too, not just be red. I have a few girls whose combs are reddish, but they haven't started to grow yet. Just FYI.
smile.png

Just wanted to let you all know that the wait is finally over! One of the BR mix hens laid her first egg this afternoon! It was on the small side, but it was so good to finally see one!
I'm one proud papa....so to speak! LOL

Here's another thought...you have great suggestions already...but have you tried layer crumbles instead of pellets? I have had hens that did not lay and when I switched to crumbles instead of pellets they ate more all of a sudden and started laying about a week and a half later. This is the second flock I have raised that have done that. I may just have the finickiest hens in history but I also wondered - since they were on free choice - if I just never noticed they weren't eating real well because they hated the pellets. Once they had crumbles, it was yum yum and then eggs. Another thing I do now that I did not do before is I transistion from starter grower and the go to grower and I keep that in the feed for the first year about 1 part to 4 part. I think it makes a difference in health and growth in size too.

I totally agree on the corn...that's a treat along with "grub" from the house on a daily basis.

Increasing light and a warmth lamp are also great ideas and will increase the hours in the day to influence laying.
smile.png

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom