My hens aren't laying

ak2177

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
I recently did something perhaps I shouldn't have. I bought 4 one year old hens off of Craigslist. This was 3 weeks ago and there are no eggs so far although the person I bought them from said they were laying and had pics of the eggs. The hens are beautiful and in very good condition. A wellsummer, Easter egger, blue Morans, do you think this is the shock of a move? They are losing some feathers although I don't know that it seems like enough to call molting. I'm going to try giving them more protein. Thoughts?

It might be a combination of beginning the molt along with the shock of the move...though that should have subsided by now. I assume their coop is properly outfitted with laying boxes? Do they free range? If so, make sure they aren't laying out in the yard somewhere. Just hope you weren't sold some spent hens. Best wishes! :)

Yes it's a very nice coop with laying boxes. I have opened the door to allow them to free range but they go out for a short time and then go right back in the coop. They go to bed early and sleep in late. I really don't think they are older than the year the seller said but maybe I did get taken. I still like them though!

They were probably 12 months old in spring.......which puts them at prime age for their first full annual molt.
Some birds molt hard, losing tons of feathers all at once and often appearing 'naked'.... and some go slower.
The stress of the move can both cause a cessation of laying and, along with the time of year, trigger the molt.

Back
Top Bottom