My hens aren't laying.

RhodeRed596

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
My 20 RIRs are 5 months 3 days old now, and still no eggs, I'll keep them inside the coop for a few days to see if they are laying outside. I've noticed only about 1/3 of them are sexually mature, do they start laying eggs before or after this?

The average laying age is 20 weeks. 5 mos x 4 weeks is 20, + your three extra days......

Patience, patience my dear! 20 is just the average, and sometimes they take a bit longer! You will see eggs soon, I bet!

smile.png

I have 2 RIRs. One of them has been laying for 2 weeks. They were hatched in mid November that's 9 months and 4 days... come on Eunice!

My girls hatched March 17th.. yesterday was the first egg. by my one white leghorn.. she gave me another this am.. the difference is a 20degree temp difference here.. most peoples hens have been Off laying due tot he heat.. Im still waiting for my other girls BR and DB's to start they are squatting but no eggs yet.. they're still debating apparently umung themselves as to when they will start...
have patience and they are worth it..
thumbsup.gif

)O(
blessed be
Pink

It's like the watched pot that never boils. Stop waiting and looking every minute.....I sort of gave up and went out to clean the coop and there was a perfect brown egg! My Marans was the only 20 week layer. My EE, RIRS and New Hampshires all took between 22-28 weeks. My EE was the slow poke. Good luck:p

My RSLs started laying at 16-17 weeks. No rooster. No extra hormones. They lay when their bodies decide to lay. They got bright red combs and wattles and started egg squats and laying began within a week.

My 8 RIR chickens were born the first part of March. We got them at 4 wks old on March 22. They dont look at all interested in laying. Some of them have really red combs and some still have pale ones and I wouldnt know a squat if I saw one. They are just pets but some eggs would be really ok, girls. It is hot here in Texas tho, triple digits. We had 2 days of cooler weather last week and then back to the triples for a total so far this year of 50 as of today. Maybe by October it will be both cooler and I will get some eggs.

I told hubby this morning to take that lonely golf ball that is on a shelf in our garage and put it in one of the nests, just for grins.

Back
Top Bottom