My hen's bush nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iluvpeeps, Mar 21, 2013.

1. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I have a hen who made a nest in a bush and is sitting on eggs in it. I put a roof and a wall on where she's sitting so that she could keep sitting during the night but and when I came out to close up my chickens for the night she had gone in with the other chickens so I took her and put her with her eggs. Will she keep sitting on them or if she doesn't how do I make her sit on some eggs somewhere else? I really need her to be broody to adopt some new chicks that I'm getting in april.

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Sounds like she is just starting her broody period. Sometimes when they start they do not sit on the eggs continuously. I'd let her decide when & where she wants to set, there is little you can or should do

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Is the spot that she made a nest safe from predators? She'll be there for 3 weeks, basically 24/7 and would be easy pickings, especially at night. So, if it isn't safe, I'd remove the eggs. Make sure there are enough nestboxes and that she finds one that she likes.

4. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I made an roof and walls over where she's sitting to protect her from predators and when I went ou t to check on her this morning and she was fine and broody again. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep giving updates.

5. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    My neighbor moved her into another safer space because it would be too easy for a predator to get her in the bush and now she won't sit on her eggs anymore! HELP ME!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by