my hens do not like their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pamelasfaith, May 29, 2012.

1. pamelasfaith

pamelasfaith Hatching

May 9, 2012
    I have three hens that will not go in the coop part of the cage. We have a large run and a coop attached to it but they never go in it. They all sleep on a rowel we have in the corner of the run. Our coop has 4 boxes two on each side and two wood bars going across but they will not go in. They ar 5 months old. What can I do to get them to go in them? When I put them up there they fly right down. Please let me know. Thanks Pamela

2. Impress

Impress Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I assume you mean you have a dowel in the run they sleep on. Take away the dowel.

3. enel 1

enel 1 Songster

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    or you could stick them in the coop after they have roosted and they will wake up in side,if you do this a couple times they'll catch on.

4. I kept mine in the coop, no run or free ranging, for about the first week. That way they think of it as home.

5. pamelasfaith

pamelasfaith Hatching

May 9, 2012
    Thanks first we built the run then added the coop. I took down the dowels to see what they do I guess I could shut them in for the night and see what happens. It has plenty of room.thew will not have food or water at night I guess that should b ok.

6. jbeck013

jbeck013 Chirping

Apr 30, 2012
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I just went through the same thing with my 4 ladies. Got them last week. The first 6 days they would try to sleep outside. I'd pick them up and put them in the coop each night. Last night it clicked. They went straight to the coop at dark. Tonight they all walked in a straight line in the coop at dusk.

I had tears in my eyes. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: