My hens dont want mate,??

Josip

Crowing
Sep 20, 2019
Croatia
I have few hens that just never Mate with Roo, and roo is afraid of them i try change roo but same story they are dominant they also fight rooster off when je grabs other hens...
And this hen on photo si queen off all hens who dont want mate, her name is Frida.. what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_221632.jpg
    IMG_20220210_221632.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 27
Unless you want fertilized eggs, I'd let things be as they are. If you do want fertile eggs, you're going to need a very dominant rooster that these girls will respect... and mate with.
Your dominant hens consider your rooster as 'beneath them' in the pecking order, and so will not allow his amorous attention.

Unless you want fertilized eggs, I'd let things be as they are. If you do want fertile eggs, you're going to need a very dominant rooster that these girls will respect... and mate with.
Your dominant hens consider your rooster as 'beneath them' in the pecking order, and so will not allow his amorous attention.
I want fertile eggs 😔 thats why i ask

I have few hens that just never Mate with Roo, and roo is afraid of them i try change roo but same story they are dominant they also fight rooster off when je grabs other hens...
And this hen on photo si queen off all hens who dont want mate, her name is Frida.. what to do?
Some hens are just like that :confused: Girlbosses 🤣 You can't "change" them as they think, in the top of the pecking order, no rooster should dethrone them. You'll need a very dominant, possibly aggro rooster to dominate them and that's just a hassle. Embrace your little rockstars and just go with it unless they are actively harming the rooster! Good luck!

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
Are the girls laying now?
How do you know they aren't mating, have you checked the yolks of eggs for the 'bullseye'?
I have 2 flocks

A- roo 2 years old hens 2 years old i saw he mate only one and only when i let them out..he is afraid of them somehow
B- roo 7 months old 6 hens 7 months old and 3 hens 2 years old. He mate only with young ones 3 older fight him even when he mate others. Those 3 were ones from flock A but they also fight roo so i nove them to flock B. This girl are huge and docile. Lay huge eggs.. but thy just dont want mate. I try incubate their eggs last year and zero..

A- roo 2 years old hens 2 years old i saw he mate only one and only when i let them out..he is afraid of them somehow
I'm not totally sure what is going on here. At that age he is as mature as he will ever be. If he does not have the personality and spirit to dominate them by now he never will. It sounds like a weak willed rooster with strong willed hens. If you can identify the strongest-willed dominant hen in this group you might try to remove her, at least temporarily, and see what happens. I'd suggest at least a week. It might not work, but then it might.

B- roo 7 months old 6 hens 7 months old and 3 hens 2 years old. He mate only with young ones 3 older fight him even when he mate others. Those 3 were ones from flock A but they also fight roo so i nove them to flock B. This girl are huge and docile. Lay huge eggs.. but thy just dont want mate. I try incubate their eggs last year and zero..
This is not a roster, he is still an immature cockerel. This sounds pretty normal. The dominant hen in this group wants to stay dominant so she doesn't allow him to mate with the pullets. At some point he should mature enough to take over.

You might read this link. It tells you how to look for the bull's eye when you crack an egg to tell if they are fertile. If the eggs you crack are fertile the ones you don't crack probably are too. Just because you don't see them mate doesn't mean they are not being sneaky.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I'm not totally sure what is going on here. At that age he is as mature as he will ever be. If he does not have the personality and spirit to dominate them by now he never will. It sounds like a weak willed rooster with strong willed hens. If you can identify the strongest-willed dominant hen in this group you might try to remove her, at least temporarily, and see what happens. I'd suggest at least a week. It might not work, but then it might.

This is not a roster, he is still an immature cockerel. This sounds pretty normal. The dominant hen in this group wants to stay dominant so she doesn't allow him to mate with the pullets. At some point he should mature enough to take over.

You might read this link. It tells you how to look for the bull's eye when you crack an egg to tell if they are fertile. If the eggs you crack are fertile the ones you don't crack probably are too. Just because you don't see them mate doesn't mean they are not being sneaky.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures
Thanks ❤️

Back
Top Bottom