My hens HATE wheat?

When it’s really cold out I give mine a bowl of warm porridge too, they dive right in.
Most chickens will get picky about feed of some sort and wind up wasting the parts they don’t like, it’s why I stopped feeding grain type feeds and switched to crumbles - same nutrition but it all looks the same so they just eat without picking out their fave bits and tossing the rest.

Oh I didn’t know this. I give them some porridge maybe once every week or two when it’s really cold as a little treat and to keep them a bit warmer. Is this okay or do you recommend no porridge at all? Also does that means oats, by themselves aren’t okay?

thankyou :)

Personally I don’t feed it at all. I feed only layer and chick crumb. I don’t give warm food because they don’t need it. Chickens are a lot warmer than us and have natural insulation to keep them warm in cold weather. Sometimes I give them scrambled eggs but I let this cool until it’s cold to the touch, more for the worry of them getting burned mouths.

I make a porridge with their crumbles. They think it's the best treat ever. 20190826_132741_resized.jpg .
I won't tell them it's the same feed that's in the hanging feeder. 20190927_050527_resized.jpg . GC
ETA; I use room temperature water.
In the summer I use cold water.

If you ever add pullets to your little flock that are young and haven't started laying don't feed layer feed. Only ones that lay eggs need the calcium that is in layer feed. It can be damaging to them. Much better to feed the whole flock Flock Raiser type and leave oyster shell in a separate container for them to eat at will. Non layers won't be interested in the shell but layers will be craving it. Calcium is needed to produce egg shells.
I only have two back garden laying hens, I’m not planning on getting any pullets either. Mine don’t seem to like oyster shells much, when they first had some they loved it but I barely give them any now as they never want it, they do seem to be quite the fussy pair!

Personally I don’t feed it at all. I feed only layer and chick crumb. I don’t give warm food because they don’t need it. Chickens are a lot warmer than us and have natural insulation to keep them warm in cold weather. Sometimes I give them scrambled eggs but I let this cool until it’s cold to the touch, more for the worry of them getting burned mouths.
Oh right, I worry too much with mine, there’s only two of them and I always feel as though they might be quite cold in the winter months, they used to live in a flock so I feel like they might get quite cold when they are both molting as they have no other hens to huddle with. I think I just worry too much! They are also very fussy with food, I’ve had a hen that was quite under weight at some points even though they have constant access to food and I’ve tried multiple foods with them and I’ve found that when they refuse to eat their food they will happily eat oats or porridge. They are quite fussy and constantly change what they will and won’t eat!

When it’s really cold out I give mine a bowl of warm porridge too, they dive right in.
Most chickens will get picky about feed of some sort and wind up wasting the parts they don’t like, it’s why I stopped feeding grain type feeds and switched to crumbles - same nutrition but it all looks the same so they just eat without picking out their fave bits and tossing the rest.
Exactly what mine are like. I might try crumbles then.
Thankyou :)

I make a porridge with their crumbles. They think it's the best treat ever. View attachment 1981713.
I won't tell them it's the same feed that's in the hanging feeder.View attachment 1981711. GC
ETA; I use room temperature water.
In the summer I use cold water.
I’ll have to try that, I bet mine would love it. Thankyou for the idea! :)
Also your hens are beautiful!

I only have two back garden laying hens, I’m not planning on getting any pullets either. Mine don’t seem to like oyster shells much, when they first had some they loved it but I barely give them any now as they never want it, they do seem to be quite the fussy pair!
They probably loved it because they were needing it. Once they got enough they backed off. Now they will get into it only as needed. A filled container may take a long time to empty by them but I promise, they will be eating. They need it if they are laying.

I’ll have to try that, I bet mine would love it. Thankyou for the idea! :)
Also your hens are beautiful!
Thank You. That photo was taken a couple of months ago.
I also have two hens molting and one that recently finished.
One just started about a week ago. Her bum in bare.
They are so sad looking when in molt, but look beautiful when complete.
Here is the hen that recently finished her molt. 20191214_092954_resized.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom