My hens have decided they don't like bedding inside thier nest boxes

StaatsFarms

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Nebraska
I have a few hens that like to kick all of the bedding out of the nest boxes... any suggestions???

I will say it's a good thing the egg shells are nice and hard cause the other day when I was in there one of them popped out an egg and it sounded like someone dropped a rock inside the box

I built a communal nest box 16" by 5' on the north wall of the coop so they could cuddle during the cold weather. They didn't seem to like it at first. Everytime I went in the coop all the straw was kicked out leaving the pine savings. I watched them one day and realized they were going through the straw looking for grain and kicking it out on the floor. Always scratchin!

I use the out door green carpet . I measure the box add an inch all around and than fold it and sew all around .it works great and the birds love it . If it gets dirty just pull out and clean it off and return it .I wash it every now and than with soap and water let it dry . It has a rubber foam so the eggs will not break .One thing I do not have to keep buying that straw or shavings and you can also add a little de if you want to ..

Back
Top Bottom