My hens have decided they don't like bedding inside thier nest boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Dec 5, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have a few hens that like to kick all of the bedding out of the nest boxes... any suggestions???

I will say it's a good thing the egg shells are nice and hard cause the other day when I was in there one of them popped out an egg and it sounded like someone dropped a rock inside the box

2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    What bedding are you using? How often do you have to refill?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If your nest boxes do not have lips on them, consider adding 4-5 inch board across the bottom of the opening... Also, you could try a different bedding???

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    I built a communal nest box 16" by 5' on the north wall of the coop so they could cuddle during the cold weather. They didn't seem to like it at first. Everytime I went in the coop all the straw was kicked out leaving the pine savings. I watched them one day and realized they were going through the straw looking for grain and kicking it out on the floor. Always scratchin!

5. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    I use the out door green carpet . I measure the box add an inch all around and than fold it and sew all around .it works great and the birds love it . If it gets dirty just pull out and clean it off and return it .I wash it every now and than with soap and water let it dry . It has a rubber foam so the eggs will not break .One thing I do not have to keep buying that straw or shavings and you can also add a little de if you want to ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by