My hens have white sticky crud all around their backsides, what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RBurgess, May 11, 2010.

1. RBurgess

RBurgess New Egg

May 11, 2010
    Hi, I have a mixed flock of 8 hens, 1 rooster and 11 growing chicks on about 1 acre. I recently lost 1 beautiful sweet hen to diarrhea, so I've been watching the rest of the flock very carefully. Now, two weeks later, four more hens have developed a sticky white gunk on their tail feathers. My Eenie, who died, also had that, then it progressed to a green and water diarrhea, listlessness and no appetite. The lady at the Feed Store suggested that it might be coccidiosis and recommended sulfa, but when I read up on that the symptoms sound very different, listing a bloody stool. At this point, the infected hens are not showing the listlessness or lack of appetite, just the soiled tail feathers. They do not share food or water with the chicks, although they are together in the same hen house at night. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Possibly they could have worms - have you ever wormed them ?

If they free range they could have eaten something they should not have
    any other symptoms ?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    My guess is worms also. Ivemectin/Eprinex (for cattle) is the very best wormer; you can do a search for info. on dosing, etc., here on BYC, as there are lots of threads on it. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by