My Hens Haven’t Been Laying Eggs After I Moved Them With Other Chickens In A New Coop.

jsssms686904

Hatching
Dec 4, 2018
About two-three weeks ago I moved 8 hens and a rooster that are about 16 months old and 12 younger hens and 5 roosters that are about 4 months old into a new coop. The older hens and the younger chickens had never met each other until I moved them to the newly built coop. The coop has plenty of space for all the chickens. My older hens layed eggs before I moved them and also layed about three days after I moved them, but after those three days they stopped laying eggs. One of my older hens even died, but I think that could be of natural causes because she was healthy and looked fine that morning. I’m wondering if they are getting stressed because I have too many roosters together. Why are they not laying eggs now? Is there anything I can do to help them in their egg production and health?

Where are you located? Most birds in the northern hemisphere will quit laying to molt.

I definitely would remove some roosters. You are lucky the introduction is going okay. Sometimes there's problems.

Hens will also stop laying when they are streamed. Being moved to a new coop with strange new chickens is definitely high on the stress level. The few eggs you got were probably already in the making before stress shut them down.

:welcome

:welcome You do have far too many roosters, and that is probably a factor as is the move and integration of two flocks. Chickens hate change. Add that in with shortened day length, age of the older birds (they are due for a break in their laying cycle) and a possible molt the stop in egg production is to be expected. As day length increases they will once again begin to lay.

X2
A new coop and thrust into housing with strangers will stress them enough to stop ovulation. The ovum that were already on the assembly became eggs for the next 3 days and then it dried up.
That would be enough to expect laying to cease, especially with such short day length.
Add to that a bunch of randy roosters and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get eggs till after most of the roosters are culled and days begin to lengthen after winter solstice.

At most, for 20 hens, you should have 1-2 roosters. That and the shortened daylight is probably what is causing your egg shortage. I have about 40 hens and I haven't gotten ANY eggs in the last 5 days.

I have 10 hens ranging from 2 to 5 years of age and in the last 3 months I've gotten one egg.
Another flock of 10 hens that are just over a year old and I went a month without an egg from them and now I'm getting 0 to 3 eggs a day from them.
In a month, they'll all start kicking in.
Not to mention that I have almost 40 pullets ranging from 4.5 months to 1 day that will really give us lots of eggs by spring.

Welcome to BYC!
Tell us more about the coop and run,
dimensions and pics would really help.
But, yes, the situation you describe would be very stressful, especially with 5 young cockerels involved.

and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-5_15-38-22.png

Back
Top Bottom