My hens pupils are small, and eyes are changing color! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WooingWyandotte, May 30, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    The last couple days I have noticed my Buckeye and Golden Sex Link hens eyes' are looking weird. First of all, they are healthy, lay eggs and are about a year old. Last Friday both of their eyes are turning lighter. Instead of an orange/deep yellow they are turning lighter yellow and the pupils are smaller. Then the next morning in the GSL's right eye I saw burgundy colored squareish shape with white on the sides of the burgundy, and her pupil is starting to point down that direction! Is this ocular mareks? Help!

GSL's Right eye
    [​IMG]

Right eye again
    [​IMG]

Buckeyes right eye
    [​IMG]

Buckeyes left eye
    [​IMG]

Is this just a spring time thing? Or is it some sort of disease?

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Their eyes look fine to me. If they had marek's, there would be other symptoms as well. Here's what ocular marek's looks like:
    [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like your girls are getting old. I bet if you take a peek at their legs and skin, they are also turning white and no longer have the youthful yellow to them.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Oh thank you! I have been pulling out my hair about this. Just thankful now that they are getting older [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by