My Hens Sleeping in the Run - Not the Coop - HELP??!!

thotchkiss60

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Hello all

My chickens are now about 26 weeks old and in the groove of laying every day. They used to go into their coop every night when it was getting dark, but the past 5 nights or so, they just all sleep in the run and don't go into the coop. Can someone tell me why or what I can do to make them start going back in? One of my girls always sits in the opening of the coop, but I think it is just to get more cool air. The other 6 seem content with the run floor. Please give me some ideas/thoughts. Thanks!

Mine did the same thing. I went down there when it was time to lock them up and put each one on the roost. Eventually they got the idea and went in on their own. Everynow and then I have to repeat this, because a few will start sleeping in the run again.

Picking them up and putting them in the coop by hand seems to be the only way to retrain them. I have one that will randomly try to sleep on top of the tractor.

Should I close to the door to the coop at night so they can't get out into the run? Maybe they just need to be locked in there for a few nights? Any other thoughts?

What about mites? I read that if there are mites in the coops that they bit the hen's legs. But how would I know if there are mites in the coop? I think it is that they just need to be re-trained to go in there at night?

Quote:
Closing them in for a few nights would help. Letting them out in the AM and they usually get it in a few days.

If you had mites in your coop, they would attach to the legs and stay there. So check their legs. If no mites on legs, no mites in coop. Or at least not enough to dissuade them from sleeping in there. Do check for snakes. Someone had chickens afraid of the coop and it was a big rat snake living in there.

Is it a bad idea to let them sleep in the run? I have 1 pullet and my roo that prefers to sleep outside and not with the younger pullets in the coop. Should I put her in there at night? Also, I was told that a roo will not go in the hen house at all. Well if that is true, my roo is not following that rule! He goes in there every time his "lady" goes in there. Now both the older pullet and the roo have been together since birth although they are seperate breeds. She will go in the house to use the nesting box tho. So I don't know bout Roo, but should I put his lady in the coop at night. My run is completely fenced in including the top. We used a spare dog run and covered it with chicken wire, the coop attaces to it, and it detaches quickly so we can move it around the yard every 2-4 weeks.

Most of mine sleep outside though they have a perfectly cozy coop. Their run is secure so I just leave them unless the weather is severe. They went in when they were young, the ladies go in to lay and brood... and my new little mama takes her babies in at night but everyone else seems to prefer being outside. I've always thought it was odd.

My run is covered, 12 X 16, and as secure as I can make it. I have 19 chickens and 11 guineas who all sleep in the rafters of the run. The inside portion is 8 X 8 with nice large windows and clean shavings on the floor. The only ones that go inside occasionally to roost are the 4 Campines, and that is sporadic. I guess the fresh air is what they like. Last winter I covered the outside of the run with tarps and plastic. I don't think I will this winter and see if they go inside.

I am going out today to purchase new tarps since the hurricane tore through my last one. I usually just cover the top for shade and rain reasons, but since the weather is getting cooler I am gonna cover the sides, 1 for now till it gets cold cold. I like to look out my kitchen window and see my chickens. Even tho they are older, I am still going to use a heat lamp in the coop, hoping it will help to add some extra warmth. Main goal is not to loose any of my chickens due to weather flucuations.

Back
Top Bottom