My hens won't go into the coop

urban dreamer

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Sherwood, AR
I have had my hens for a several days now and they still have not gone inside thier coop. I am worried because we are about to get some good storms here in Arkansas. They have a big covered yard so they will not get wet but with winter fast approching how to I incourage my hens to go into the warm dry coop? Neither one has layed yet either which I expected when we moved them. They should start laying again next week. But how do I get them to lay in the nesting box when they wont go into the coop? Im a nervous new chicken mommy so any experienced help is greatly appreciated!!!

I read and also did this, I locked them in the coop 4 four days straight then let them out, and since then they go in the coop on their own in the evenings.

I would lock them in the coop for a couple days - assuming that there is ample square footage for the number of birds.

Typically, staying the night in the run isn't predator-proof, so you don't want to leave them out there.

Sometimes putting a small light in the coop can encourage them to go on in at dark.

It's a good idea to start the bird off inside the coop for a few days to let them get used to their new home. After a few days let them out in the run. They will return inside as it gets towards evening because they are already used to being inside the coop.

I would physically move them in one by one in the darkness of night and then leave them in they're coop for a bit in the morning. If your coop doesnt shut off from the rest, at least they will have slept there and should welcome it the next night.

Im going to lock them in tonight, provided I can catch them. Having never been around chickens and they never around me they wont just let me pick them up. They did eat some carrots out of my hand today which was encouraging. I'll lock them in the coop and we will see what happens. I hope there is enough room for the night. Thier coop is 3 ft tall X 2-1/2 ft wide X 4 ft long. I have two barred rock hens. Will that be ok for them?

That size coop is OK for two hens. If or when you get more birds you should get a bigger coop, or add on to the one you have. How big is the run? Sounds like your birds are young yet. They'll get the idea after being in lock up for awhile.
smile.png

Because Im so new at this I didn't want to get young hens. My hens are two years old already. There run is 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. I had to build it small because i live in the city. Im only allowed to have up to four so I went ahead and got two to get comfortable with keeping them. When I am more confindent and my neighboors are used to the idea of me having chickens, then I may build a bigger coop and get four.

Me and husband are just now finishing up our coop and winter is right around the corner the first couple of nights I had to put a light in there on all night, and then I actually had to grab couple of ladies and show them were everything was, then the other ladies kindof followed! Now all of the chickens go in the coop at night when it gets dark. Once the coop is completly done Iwill also be locking them up at night or if I have to will lock them up for day or two.

She went in the coop! This morning I was outside watching Mean Chicken taking a dust bath and Nice Chicken went into the coop! She stayed in for a little bit then Mean Chicken chaced her out. I am alot more confinent now that I saw here go inside by herself. While I was thinking about the coop I decided to do some more improvments to it. After I did some hammering and rearranging, Nice Chicken got curious and went in for a second time!!! Tonight I will lock both of them up. And we will see what happens tomarrow!!!

Back
Top Bottom