My hens won't use the nice nesting boxes.

Chickenman623

Songster
Jan 20, 2023
I've 7 laying hens. Two Buff Orpingtons, two Black Astrolorps, two Bielfelders and 1 Speckled Sussex. They all arrived in the same shipment and are 23 weeks old. The two Buff Orpingtons started laying an egg a day each about a week and a half ago. The others haven't figured it out yet. I have 6 nesting boxes with beautiful nests made of chopped straw. I've had wooden eggs in the nests since before the Buff Orpintons started laying. But the Orpingtons insist on digging nice little nests in the wood chips on the floor of the coup to lay their eggs. I tried picking one of them up and putting her in one of the nesting boxes but she'd have nothing to do with it. Each night when I close the tiny door to the coup I go around to the big door and bid them good night and show them the nesting boxes with the eggs in them with a flashlight. They all seem interested in the nesting boxes with the eggs but none will go into them. This has to be the dumbest flock of chickens I've ever dealt with. I had to physically teach them to go into the coup at sunset so I could close the coup up at dark. But they wouldn't get on the roosts. Had to install an automatic night-lite in the coup so they could see.............................and physically put them on the roosting bars for about three nights before I could get them to do it on their own. I turn off the night-lite after I "tuck them in". I had 24 hens about 12 years ago and I never had to teach them to do anything. In fact, they taught me!!!!!! Am I just not being patient enough or are my hens just mentally challenged????? :lau:lau:lau

It's super common to have to put young birds back in the coop when they are first released....especially if we are wanting them in before dark.

Could the straw be harbouring mites?
Have you tried putting pine shavings in any instead?
Can you post a picture of the nests? Maybe we can spot a minor change that could make a difference.

The nests are perfect. They've not even checked them out that I've ever noticed. I've had hens before with nests set up this same way. (same nesting boxes, same coup) Straw is fresh out of the bag......no mites. Hadn't thought of putting Pine shavings in the nests. That's a thought. Will try that.

Nesting box lower rail 10" off floor.

Nesting Boxes-half.jpg

All roosting rails above nesting boxes at 24" from floor.

Coup Interior-half.jpg

Hens refuse to use the ramp to get up to the roosting bars and choose to hop and flap up to the roosting bars instead. So they should easily be able to reach the nesting boxes. I had 24 hens previously and they never laid an egg anywhere other than in the boxes. I'm beginning to think my poor hens are demented. :eek:

Don't these hens know "it's my way or the highway?" :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau
But is it? Sounds like they're training you :lau
Ya I'm thinking they figure the floor is just a lot easier then going through the trouble of getting ALL THE WAY up there to the boxes.
They are nice boxes though.

Back
Top Bottom