My Holderead Buff is missing Lower Beak!!

Pretty Pony

Songster
13 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Ft. Smith, AR
Went out to lock things in the pens tonight and noticed my Holdereed Buff Gander is missing half of his lower beak!! Tongue still there, but lower part of his jaw/beak is gone. He has been biting at the dogs when they get close to his pen, so I think he lost it to one of my dogs. BUT now what do I do? Will he be able to eat?

Went out to lock things in the pens tonight and noticed my Holdereed Buff Gander is missing half of his lower beak!! Tongue still there, but lower part of his jaw/beak is gone. He has been biting at the dogs when they get close to his pen, so I think he lost it to one of my dogs. BUT now what do I do? Will he be able to eat?
Well have you seen him eat? it maybe difficult since it's the lower part, but he maybe able to make ammends, deep bowl . How is he doing today? and a nice piece of hardware cloth around their pen to keep him from being able to stick his bill through the fence maybe in order. Put some ACV in the water buckets he drinks out of it will help kill any bacteria that could cause infection till the wound heals, use plastic or rubber buckets when using ACV.Hope he does good.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I seen a tv vet show where they cared for an injured turtle & duck's 'mouth'.....they vet used some kind of modeling clay to mold a new bottom jaw for them. But I'd have No idea what kind they used. I'd assume it was one that hardens by UV light maybe? Hope all is well with your Gander!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom