My home has become 'Crow Central' Why?

Crow be Gone Update: Morning of Day 6:

So, I chased the Crows out of the trees again at dusk and they moved on. And, while I actually got woken up this morning by squabbling chickens at 05:50am and not cawing Crows, once awake I could hear them in the neighbourhood and then while feeding the gals, the two persistent Crows were in the front and back tree again.

I had started the mp3 before going outside.

The days are definitely quieter and I am not so distracted when working but to be honest, while it appears to have worked on the majority of the Crows, I am a little disappointed in that it does not seem to have worked entirely and as I type this and while the mp3 is playing, I can still hear cawing and can see a Crow in the front tree.

I am going to try some more repositioning and volume changes but I am not hopeful. I believe these remaining few are probably the ones who were under the gazebo at the same time as the player and know the noise is not a threat.

I have hidden the BBQ cleaner that they keep trying to eat and as I type I am watching a Crow walk down my driveway and past my front door!

I am close to giving up. Summer is going to suck, at the moment they are driving me insane with the windows closed, with the windows open in summer they are going to be deafening.

Right now, I hate them!! Good job I do not have a gun, I reckon I could quite cheerfully shoot the evil black &^$#@’s

Teila, if only you could borrow Tara's cattle dogs - I'm sure they would give great chase and in doing so wear they puppiness into exhaustion

I don't think our Halloween is celebrated in other countries. In the US it's a big thing and one of the most common Halloween items is CROWS, CROWS, AND MORE CROWS, you could hang them from trees- plastic ones, stuffed ones, cardboard ones etc.etc. Crows of every size and demeanor. Some even talk or squawk with batteries. I don't know if crows would be fooled but you could have a murder of crows - that might work to chase them away.

I have given up!!

I have packed the speakers and mp3 player away and I am just going to have to learn to live with them … even though they are doing my head in! I hate to admit that I have been beaten by Crows but these evil mongrels will not move on!

It could be that I have the positioning of the speakers or volume incorrect or it just could be that these Crows are determined to send me insane! Anyways, I have better things to do than constantly trying to shut them up.

I was chatting to my neighbour again this morning as he is raising our dividing fence because of his pool; anyways, he mentioned how he was watching one of the Crows quite happily walking around on the table under our gazebo and then strolling down our path like he owned the place!

It is illegal to do them harm or interfere with nests etc and also very much against my nature but I can only hope that they are annoying another of the neighbours as much as they are me and those neighbours may have ideas of their own
wink.png

Last edited:
I am becoming quite the expert when it comes to Crows
wink.png

The evil black B’s woke me up again this morning and now I have stopped playing the mp3, their friends have returned and I am back to 6 or 7, not just 2!

So, it turns out I was not scammed and the originally ordered CD from the rival company turned up yesterday. I thought it would just be a copy of the other one I already have but turns out it is not, a couple of new noises, including a hooting owl. Anyways, as it is a CD and not an mp3, I chucked it into my work computer and have it playing out the office windows.

Not holding out much hope but it is easier just to play that out the window than it is to move the mp3 player and speakers around the place.

You know, I have to say I believe the CD and mp3 work because I am now back to those persistent two and the others left in a hurry.

I'm having trouble with crows as well, eating me out of house and home and stealing the chickens' food. I think they might be a little more cautious from now on though. I just came home from a walk and went to go up the garden to give the chooks their afternoon treat. Normally, they will all rush to the corner of the run, jostling for position to catch the mealworms as I scatter them, but today, they ignored me and I could see them standing in a semi circle..... around something.

When I got there, I could see a crow cowering in the edge, with the chickens taunting it - it didn't look happy. I went to pick it up, and it flapped away from me - at which point, all the girls launched themselves at the poor bird, pecking and clawing it and no amount of shooing on my part would make them stop. I reached into the blur of feathers and claws, and retrieved the crow. My dog tried to grab it as well (she doesn't bother the chickens). At the moment, the crow is resting in a box to see if it will recover, and the girls are happy it's gone.

Now I'm wondering if I should net over the chicken run.

Hey Luddite

All the research I have done on Crows and trust me, over the past couple of months it has been heaps, indicates that they have a very good communication network and your Crow would probably have told all his friends about his encounter but judging from your second post, probably not gunna happen.

This is going to sound awful but if he does pass, you might wanna find somewhere to lay him where the other Crows can see him; apparently nothing deters Crows more than the sight of a dead Crow.

My run is covered and if I were you, yep I would definitely cover the run .. Crows will steal eggs also.

So, the CD appears to have worked and I am back to just the determined two, one of which woke me up this morning and is now sitting in the front tree cawing, interestingly it is not being answered.

I will continue to play the CD today.

Update on the Crow situation … I do believe I have won! Not once this week have I been woken by cawing Crows; even those stubborn two have moved on.

Now, I do not know if they just moved on because they wanted to or the CD actually did the trick. I know the back neighbour stopped feeding them also … anyways, peace reigns and I am one very happy Vegemite
celebrate.gif
They have come back a couple of times but only briefly; I just have to walk out into the garden and they leave. Crazy lady with long pole and water pistol appears to help also
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom