My home has become 'Crow Central' Why?

Update .. they have gone!!
celebrate.gif

Crow Central is now Human Party Central!!

We have been Crow-less for 3 days now .. well, not totally Crow-less but back to manageable 2-4 which have always been here.

I believe it was definitely something in the lawn and that rain we had fixed that right up! Either that, or hubby's CD/Crow Disco Ball did the trick or, the sacrificial grubs I tossed onto the driveway as a peace offering lifted the curse.

Whatever the reason, I am so happy they have gone .. peace and quiet reigns
fl.gif

Thank you all for the support, thoughts and of course, the laughs .. hopefully this thread is closed for good
wink.png

Lols BobDBirdDog
lau.gif

You are forgiven on this occasion, but only because I love your sense of humour!
wink.png

Thank you for giving me thoughts of an impending death to add to my remake of Birds phobia!
wink.png

Hhhhm, ants are a definite possibility. The Palm that drops the berries has fronds which the ants love to build nests on and I have seen some smallish ant nests on the lawn. Having said that, we have lived here for 5 years and this is the first time we have had a problem with the Crows. As you can see in the photo, the lawn is not lush and green at the moment due to a lack of rain and it is probably the driest it has been since we moved here which would definitely make it ant-haven. We finally had some torrential rain on Thursday and it was extremely windy yesterday. While I can still hear the Crows in the trees as I type, they have not actually been all over the front lawn since Wednesday so your theory of something nice to eat in the lawn is definitely a good one and the rain may have drowned that food source which is why they have taken to the trees. All I ever do to the front lawn is mow it; thats it. I do have a compost bin out the back and of course, the girls keep the back lawn nicely fertilised and bug free on free range. The back lawn, which the Crows do not seem too interested in, is definitely lusher and greener than the front.

I believe you are correct. If we get more rain and the front lawn becomes lusher and greener again as it has in the past, it will be interesting to see if the Crows do move on. Still does not explain why it is only my lawn and no-one else in the street as they all look pretty much like mine. Ah, thinking as I type, next door has a dog, the other side has an outdoor cat, across the road has a Beagle and next door to them live two dogs and two outside cats ... I think I am starting to see a trend here! All I have protecting my front lawn is a CD/Crow disco ball!

Good thinking on the salt, unfortunately the closest water source would be my 3 fish ponds in the back yard
roll.png

You know, I think I am just going to have to learn to live with them, as much as I joke about it, I could not bring myself to hurt them. If I could find something to scare them away without hurting them I would be over the moon which brings me to tridentk9's comment ..................

Now that was some scary reading!

Impending death + Bird remake + at least 5 years of revenge stalking .. this just keeps getting better!
lau.gif

*Sigh* I am now a marked target ... this bit of news came way too late and I think they got a pretty good look at me when I was chasing them off the back fence and again when I was waving the broom at them like a crazy woman! I am thinking this can not be a good thing!

Time to start pondering a sacrificial peace offering I reckon, that or stay indoors for the next five years so they forget me!
hide.gif

Seriously now, thank you tridentk9 that was interesting to read. Again, unless I can find something to scare them off that they can not trace back to my face and that will not hurt them, it appears I am going to have to learn to live with my new evil overlords until whatever is going on with the front lawn changes.

Never More!!!!!!!
lau.gif

Last edited:
OK, I know I said this thread was closed as the Crows have gone ... well, while they have not come back, there are still a few more hanging around than usual but not so bad that I cannot think or hear properly and they are staying off the lawn, just hanging around in trees.

Anyways, the reason I am posting again ... I learnt something new about Crows today .. they can mimic chickens! Yep, I heard an unfamiliar 'I just laid an egg song'; didn't sound like the only layer I have at present and she had already laid her egg for the day. As I have been waiting for a couple of my youngsters to lay their first egg, I raced out to see who it could have been .. it was a Crow! It was sitting in the back tree, singing like a chicken!!

If that was a trap/test .. I just walked straight into it! lol

Lolz tridentk9, it was pretty funny, I believe the look of horror on my face would have been priceless!!

These Crows are seriously messing with my head!

I raced back in and did an internet search, not so much to check if Crows were mimics, but more to put my mind at ease that I was not, in fact, going crazy!

Good ole' Google confirmed that Crows are mimics.

We are in a 'No Rooster' zone; it would be just my luck that some Crow that had learnt to crow, will come visit and get me in trouble!
wink.png

I can imagine the conversation now .. "But I do not have a rooster, it was a Crow"!
lau.gif

ROFL- but we heard a rooster. It was a black one. Plus she lets her chickens loose. They're flying around all over the neighborhood;)

Howdy, I am reviving this thread as I need Help!

When I started this back in July 2014 it was because I had a heap of Crows hanging around and I was concerned about them and my little banties and chicks.

It was suggested “Your girls will get used to them soon enough” and they did .. the Crows do not seem to bother them at all. Me, on the other hand, they are driving me insane!

OK, I do not have the numbers now that I had back then but there is one pair who have moved into my front tree and occasionally friends of theirs drop by for a visit.

I know Crows deter Hawks but Hawks are not really a problem here.

I was talking to my neighbour about them the other day and she says it could be her fault because she feeds the wild parrots bread and honey every afternoon and this pair of Crows are always there and steal some.

Well, that explains, the large chunks of bread I keep finding floating in my fish ponds!

Anyways, these Crows do not shut up! I work from home, I am on the phone to clients and they are constantly asking “what is that noise?” … that noise is the Crows!

Just now I had one sitting right at my front door … taking to his mate at my front window but through the house … my ears are still ringing!

They sit outside the bedroom window at the crack of dawn and make enough noise to wake the whole house.

The section of my driveway which is under the tree they like to sleep in is white with Crow poop.

They have taken to stealing stuff from under our gazebo … I keep finding stuff which should be sitting on a shelf dropped all over the garden. They are constantly stealing our BBQ cleaner. They knock over the oil bottles next to the BBQ and are frequently standing either on the BBQ or the table under the gazebo.

I put watermelon out for the girls on the weekend and spent the majority of the day trying to keep the Crows off it.

I rescued a juvenile Turtle Dove from a Crow that was trying to eat it alive!

I mean these Crows no harm but I need something to deter them??

Earlier posts in this thread mention that they remember faces and I am definitely on their hit list now because I chase them with the broom, shoot at them with the water pistol, run around waving my arms etc!

No matter what I do, they just look at me and teasingly hop just out of reach!

They do not have access to the chicken feed because the run is covered so I do not believe it is the chickens attracting them but if I were to call someone to maybe help me, the first thing they will probably do is blame the chickens. "Want to get rid of the Crows? Get rid of the chickens!"

Back
Top Bottom