My House flooded! I blame the ducks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope not to turn my topic into a "Indoor duck Vs Outdoor duck" argument. I guess the main thing to remember, as long as all of our ducks are healthy, happy, and we're not braking any laws against animal safety/cruelty then to each his own.... Neither of us is going to "Convert" the other to our way of thinking. As for people deciding the best way to keep a duck, they should read all of the info they can about ducks and decide for themselves. I never tell people to keep ducks indoors, but I willingly help those who have decided to keep them indoors (since there is not a ton of info about it). I also always tell people the truth about how much time/effort/and chores it takes to keep them happy. For some it's about keeping ducks as livestock, or for ornamentation, while for others it's about keeping a loving pet, and for some the loving bond between owner and animal is stronger because of how they were raised. I would never bring an outdoor duck inside and expect it to be happy. Not all ducks take to being inside either. I had the heart wrenching decision to give two of my past ducks I raised to someone with an outdoor farm, because they were unhappy inside. I adopted two ducks because they were raised inside and could not live outside any more, and they had no other place to go.

I do feel the slight need to defend my ducks, so no one thinks they are unhappy or not taken well care of. No one would throw a happy house dog in the woods thinking it'll be happier there, let alone survive. That is how I feel about my ducks. My ducks are bonded to us and are miserable without us. They expect to see us every single day, multiple times a day, and get very upset when they can't (like when we're on vacation and my sister or mother comes to take care of them), and are very happy to see us again when it's been more than a couple hours. When joe had to go out of the country m-Th every week for 3 months straight, as soon as he came home, he'd hear his voice and quack super loudly until he went to their pen to visit them.

They are happy and healthy (to correct a statement made- Only one of my ducks ever got bumblefoot, which she got from cutting her foot on shavings in her pen, like any outdoor duck could. It was just noticed and taken care of right away because I inspect her often and see her everyday. She got the best care, from the vet and at home, and is now perfectly healthy and happy and has not had another reoccurrence.) They are not diapered all the time (in fact they really only get diapered these days to go to the vet, pet store, etc.). They live in a nice spacious pen and coop with the required amount of space for six ducks much like any outdoor duck... the only difference is they have a regulated temperature and complete protection from predators. We open their large windows in their room and have fans so they get fresh air and sunshine. Their house is probably cleaner than most since it is inside and we are very diligent in cleaning it several times a day. We also have a small back yard with plenty of mud/dirt/plants/rocks/kiddie pool etc for them to play in and forage. I even make foraging toys for them so they have to look for food, both inside and outside. They are given feeder fish a few times a month either in the tub or kiddie pool for enrichment. The pretty much have everything a duck could ever want, with bonuses of extensive vet care and love from their humans. They are very happy the way they are. They do not currently have the option of swimming at will, but they will one day when we move. For now, our set up of swimming in the tub seems to make everyone happy (The know when it's bath time, and when it's time to drain, and when it's time to get out of the tub and go home). They also get very nice prepared treats every night, including some more expensive treats like watermelon, shrimp, seafood, organic greens, etc. Even their normal feed is well prepared with scratch, calf manna, catfood, parrot pellets, flax seed, grit, vitamins, oats, corn, etc. They do not go without.

To get back on topic, We have secured furnace filters over the holes created by the flood, in order to prevent any mold or dust from coming through the hole into our house. We also put in a new filter for our actual furnace (we try to replace it every 3 months or so), so anything in the air that gets pulled into the air register will get filtered before being blown into other rooms of the house. It's going to be a big job trying to pull out and replace all of the drywall that got wet, but it will be done. We have fans and dehumidifiers going 24/7 right now to help dry out the wet areas and keep condensation from forming on others, until we can get a plumber over here to figure out how to fix the leak, and them someone to come and rip out what got wet. We usually have two tubs to give ducks baths in, but the one is off limited until we fix the leak, so the ducks are being treated to extra backyard time with the pool. Only 3 of the six will go into the kiddie pool willingly, so I also put a bucket out there for the few that hate the pool.

Be prepared for a nice "BILL". Last year we had a water pipe leak and it only got the bottom 2' of sheetrock in one wall of the kitchen and living room for a total of 21 feet long, the living room carpet and pad got wet. The HO insurance sent out Serv.......... to do the repairs. The production that they did was UNBELIVEABLE , with air dehumidifier, 2 hepa filters, then the scare tactics for mould remediation with plastic tents, hazmat suits, etc. etc., carpet and pad replacement. Blew up our water pressure tank in the garage to boot by air pressuring the water lines to find the leak.($3500). After 3 months of their goofing up the job, incompetence of all workers and managers, made all kinds of overcharges that we successfully challanged. I ordered them off our property twice and my daughter got so mad another time that she took a baseball bat after one of the managers to order him off our property.We then fired them and hired plumbers, sheetrock installers, painters, and carpet installers to finish the work. Then the insurance Co. paid the $ 13,700 bill to these incompetants as well as all of those we had to hire ourselves to finish the job. Have fun !!!

My house duck is always fiddling with the temperature/water control handles when he's in the tub, so I don't blame you for blaming them!
We got a big kid's swimming pool (8 ft. wide, 2 foot tall) and now he usually takes his baths outside. If I've just cleaned it, I'll wade around in there with him and that gets him excited
tongue.png

I'm glad I can learn through your experience though
tongue.png
I will check the tub after every duck bath from now on
smile.png

luckily we caught the dripping from the ceiling just in time, so our floor did not get damaged. I was able to move all the furniture and stuff away from the leak, before it busted through the paint (it bubbled up under the paint before leaking through... We caught it with a bucket). So all the visible damage is just in the ceiling... now the unseen damage in the ceiling is a whole other story...

I wouldn't be surprised it the ducks messed with the little button to switch the water from the faucet too the shower head... They are stinkers sometimes and like to get in trouble.... (One time ming mei was mad at me for leaving her in a penned play area in my front room while I went outside for an hour... There was a book shelf in the play area, and she proceeded to yank all the books she could off of the bottom shelf and pulled one page out of each book she could.... STINKER! needless to say, I moved the book shelf)

Quote:
Sadly, your ducks are not healthy. One only has to look ar your vet bills to realize that your ducks live in a diseased environment. Give me two weeks with your ducks, and they will never want to live with you again. Truth hurths.

Omg just leave them alone. Their ducks are obviously happy. This isnt a forum to get on peoples cases about their birds living habits. Go attack people on craigslist or something and leave these poor people alone about their birds. Theyre obviously loved and taken care of. Maybe not to YOUR liking, but theyre taken care of, getting treats and love, baths and a warm place to live. Just because you see something a certain way doesnt mean that EVERYONE has to share that viewpoint with you.

Quote:
No, the ducks are not happy. Common sense will tell you that. This is backyard chickens dot com, not indoor chickens dot com. This is a perversion of what the website is all about. They are CAGED!!! They are no better than factory farm.

What i ment by that was that they are going to keep their birds the way theyre going to keep their birds, people ranting and raving about it isnt going to change that. I know, i have the same issues with someone and dogs, theyre a "back yard breeder" aka "puppy mill". Ranting does nothing. Not saying these people are such as a puppy mill, Honestly i wouldnt keep my birds inside but thats these peoples choice. I keep my birds "caged" but its an outdoor flight, and since they are flying birds they are in a fully inclosed cage, but they can fly.... All i ment by it is that they are going to do what they are going to do.

Yes having the ducks indoors can start bacteria that is naturally broken down outdoors by bugs and the environment. They would have to be cleaned several times a day to ensure they are clean at all times. Yes, Ducks are water animals, spend 90% of their time either in or around it and if they cannot get to it often they can get skin rashes (that you cannot see through the feathers) caused by them not being able to become properly clean in the water. Truth be told, yes a duck can be kept indoors if their owner is willing to put forth a lot of effort in it, but they are honestly much happier outdoors and though these indoor ducks may be healthy, they would probably be healthier outdoors.
Theyve got a simple life not made for ducks, ducks are designed for water, sun, dirt baths, bugs and fresh grass and sun.

Not hacking on keeping your ducks indoors, that is entirely your decision and you are going to do what you please with the animals you rightfully own. What my earlier post was is saying that attacking anyone about their choice of housing for their animals is not going to help anything.

Last edited:
Unless one is a licensed individual who has come to my house and deemed my ducks sick, unhealthy, unhappy etc, anyone saying so would be making an ASSUMPTION without all the facts. And we all know what they say about those who make assumptions...

My vet bills are high because I bring ALL of my birds, ducks and otherwise to the vet for regular exams and check ups. They get regular tests for diseases, ticks, mites, rashes, and weight checks. The only emergencies we have ever had with a duck are all things that could happen to any duck, whether it lived indoors or out (bumblefoot, egg binding, choking, and blood feather). We often pay twice the normal price to see the vet because we'll take our birds in whenever they are sick, even in the middle of the night (which is a lot more expensive). We pay for every available test the vet recommends. Every single one of my birds is healthy and is inspected daily for anything wrong. If there is something wrong, it gets treated right away.

This post is about the flood I experienced in my house hold... It is meant to be funny and humorous to those who read it (and for me to not get upset about it). It is NOT about whether ducks should be kept indoors or out... Please do not Hi-jack my thread. I try my best not to break rules or hurt feelings, and I would hope for the same from all other members. If anyone can't follow the rules of BYC and be nice, I will insist it be closed for further comment. There's no sense in arguing and making enemies in a place that is meant to encourage community.

Quote:
Your vet bills are high because you do not provide your animals with a healthy environment!!! Please STOP equating high veterinary bills with altruism. You would go broke as a farmer.

Your birds are sick because of their environemnt!!!!

Thats exactly what i was saying, that if someone is a dedicated owner and willing to put forth the effort for the ducks then they can live a long, healthy and happy life. These "bacteria situations" can happen if someone isnt willing to clean up after them regularly. Ive been following the flood situation and have found it humorous and find that you have a good way of taking care of them
smile.png
. I used to have a turkey that lived in my home. He was the happiest little guy ever and i dont doubt that your ducks are the same way.
But in all reality a duck is made for water, and you do allow them to swim
smile.png
. I see no problem with the situation with your ducks, they seem awesome and so does your setup.
Sorry if my reply came off as anything otherwise. Was trying to defend people that decide to keep their birdies indoors (that take care of the indoor birdies of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom