My hurt chick?

tsullivan10

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
I have a three week old Salmon Favorolle chick that all of the other chicks have picked on. They have pecked all of her tail feathers out and left meat exposed. I sprayed genamyacin on it and seperated her from the others, is there anything else I can do for her? She is still very vigerous and getting around well.
Thanks, Tanya

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like you are doing fine by her. If there is another chick that doesn't pick on her, I would consider putting them together. She'll need some company. And when she is ready to re-join her flock it may be easier to re-introduce two rather than a lone chick.

If no other chick is agreeable, try providing her with a small stuffed animal, a hand mirror or a clean feather duster for company.

Good luck
smile.png

Blue Kote? Black Salve? Anti-Pick Lotion? She sounds like the designated lowest-on-the-pecking order, and this is normal. But perhaps also offer the other chicks something that entertains them as well, because picking and pecking are signs of boredom. Check a pet store near you for bird toys that might work in your brooder. Bells, mirrors, things that spin are great for inquisitive chicks.

mason jar feeders are working for me on boredom. they can see the food but can't understand why they can get to it at the bottom through the holes but not up high through the glass.

Depending on how old they are, you can also hang a half/quarter head of lettuce on a string. A little like tetherball, to keep them busy. Works grrrrrrrr-eat!

Back
Top Bottom