My husband and I are totally at a loss. HELP!

http://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door

It's pricey but it works. My DH isn't on BYC but he built my coop and researched the doors. He found this one and ordered it. We installed it in early May. It opens every morning at sunrise and closes at sunset. Our girls go in the coop each evening ahead of the door closing.... They just know somehow.

I have seen a thread on here about this door. There was a bit of a wait to get it .... But it was worth it. Before the door was installed my girls were lucky to get let out of the coop by 7:30... It was usually 8-8:15. Now they are up with the sun :)

I have a question though, can a racoon knock over a rabbit pen and rip an entire sheet of fencing off the back of the pen and get both rabbits at the same time? That wire was stapled to a wooden frame and the pen was quite heavy.

I think a raccoon could do that.... I think a fox could too. I suspect the raccoon is the more likely one .... They just tend to make a mess and a fox is more stealthy.... But I think either could do it.

I'd think a raccoon could have taken out those rabbits way before a fox. The raccoons I've seen around here are BIGGER than the foxes, for one thing. Add in the dexterity and intelligence and you've got a major predator.

I'm wondering if your recent attack was maybe a juvenile trying to hunt on his own, maybe that's why you didn't lose birds? I'd try a live trap and see what you get. But, with a live trap, you have to be prepared to kill what you catch. Relocating it won't work, I don't care how far you drive. Sounds like hardening the coop is already on the way, no?

I agree with your suggestions. Hardware cloth and setting out a trap is exactly how I would start out. It does sound like it is probably raccoons. I am a new chicken mama and I have been extremely fortunate that I have had no losses (yet?!). We have an English Mastiff who adores our birds and I think that her scent around the property has helped keep some of the predators away. Before we got her, we had raccoons in our trash and in one of our outbuildings, now there is no sign of them. I know that you can purchase animal urine online which is supposed to help scare off any unwanted visitors. Our birds are all free range, no tractor, and they come in on their own in the evening and we lock them up safe and sound around 9 pm. Our Polish start heading in around 7:30. We have 6 acres, but they stick to the yard around the house which offers plenty of shade/protection from air attacks.

Back
Top Bottom