My husband thinks the fence/coop doesn't need a roof!?!?!?

Folks, if this is *literally* 1/4 acre (100x100' or the equivalent), that is going to be quite expensive to cover with even just a netting top, especially if snowload is ever a consideration.

Pat

possibly make a smaller contained and roofed area inside of the large fenced area?
I feel better when I'm gone all day knowing my chicks are safe from above and below.
And literally just last night I was telling my husband how happy I am that we roofed our coop and fenced area - the chicks are hanging out nice and dry even though its been raining for about a week straight here in Michigan :-/
heres our coop:
http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-chicken-coop-ever.html

Maybe the question is how attached are you to the chickens? If these are beloved pets that you will be devasted if something happened to then I think the suggestion of a covered run inside the 1/4 acre is a fine one. You can let them loose in their paddock when you're around to keep an eye out and when you're not available, lock them up in a their covered run. If these are "just chickens" which you don't mind replacing on occassion, turn 'em loose. Whatever you choose, it will probably be an ongoing project anyway. There are some threads which deal with hawks and I saw suggested that you can run fishing line across large areas. Apparantly the hawks can see the glint and won't try to fly down. Inexpensive save for the poles you'd need to put up to support it. Do a search and you'll find some more ideas for large area.

Now hubby brought home a pole saw to cut some lower branches off of the only protection from the hawks..

Back
Top Bottom